(Archived) Lost Device

Hi- Evernote novice here. Apologies for the laziness of this request, but I'm not having any luck with the search function and I haven't found any relevant stickied threads so perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction? It's a straightforward case of a lost Android phone. Is changing the Evernote password about all that can be done? I'm hoping that my phone-wiping app worked and I changed my password within an hour of losing the phone- is there anything else I should do to minimize the chance of access to my account. Am I correct in believing that some recently accessed notes are stored on the phone's SD card, but that most notes beyond a certain length would be inaccessible to anybody who managed to get through my phone's pin and onto the Evernote app? I assume that the applog files on my laptop only record activity that takes place from the laptop, so they wouldn't help in determining if my Evernote account was accessed from the phone during a certain timeframe? Is there any other way of determining that?

Many thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi. Sorry to hear about your loss :(

I cannot answer any of your specific questions, though other users probably can. You changed your password, which is good. Just in case, though, I would make sure you are backed up as well. This might also be a good time to go through your notes and encrypt any sensitive data to protect against any future problems like this.

In order to help everyone, could you tell us whether you had offline notebooks?

Thanks for the reply. I have offline notebooks for my laptop but not the lost phone. I've tended not to access many notes from my phone in general- rather using it to upload new notes that I make on the go when I get home. If notes that aren't accessed aren't downloaded to the phone's SD card then might that be a good future strategy for a paranoiac wanting to limit exposure in the event of lost devices? Encryption is next on my to-do list.... I'll use the search function, but if anybody could point me towards a good starting point (Truecrypt seems popular?) that would be helpful!

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply. I have offline notebooks for my laptop but not the lost phone. I've tended not to access many notes from my phone in general- rather using it to upload new notes that I make on the go when I get home. If notes that aren't accessed aren't downloaded to the phone's SD card then might that be a good future strategy for a paranoiac wanting to limit exposure in the event of lost devices? Encryption is next on my to-do list.... I'll use the search function, but if anybody could point me towards a good starting point (Truecrypt seems popular?) that would be helpful!

hi. truecrypt and the like are good for your hard drive on your laptop. so, i've done that. are you running mac or pc?

but, i was thinking more about evernote. you can encrypt text in evernote if you want. and, if they are files in PDF or some other format, you can use those programs to encrypt before uploading. in a worst-case scenario, even if someone found their way into your account, they could not read sensitive data. the only caveat is that everything you encrypt becomes un-searchable.

i don't use android enough to know what is on the sd card, but i am thinking that if you do not have offline notes, then there won't be anything there. perhaps there will be a few notes cached, but otherwise, it will be empty. and, if you you remotely wiped your device, i would think that would also ensure data is gone. but, i am just speculating here.

Thanks for the reply. I have offline notebooks for my laptop but not the lost phone.

Offline notebooks are a premium feature, allowing notebooks to be stored on a remote device, so you can access the notes, even when you don't have an internet connection. The documents are OCR'd, as long as they meet the EN OCR requirements (listed here.)

Local notebooks are available for free/premium accounts & only live on the Mac/Windows clients. The notes are never, ever sync'd to the EN servers, so no OCR'ing is done.

Encryption is next on my to-do list.... I'll use the search function, but if anybody could point me towards a good starting point (Truecrypt seems popular?) that would be helpful!

TC works well on PCs. IDK about securing data on an Android phone.

Archived