Changing the entry date

Hi Guys,

I have an old diary that I wish to transfer to Evernote. Naturally when I put an entry in from yesteryear it shows today's date as the entry. Is there anyway of back dating the entry date at all? thanks in advanced....... Gary

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm afraid if you have 365 days' worth of diary, the options are all a bit labour-intensive.. you can change the 'created date' of the note to reflect the actual date of the diary, show the date as the subject in yyyymmdd format (so you can sort the notes in date order), or list all the entries in one note, again with dates as paragraph entries. There's no way that I know to import a block of entries with suitable date tags.

• Level 5*

Hi Guys,

I have an old diary that I wish to transfer to Evernote. Naturally when I put an entry in from yesteryear it shows today's date as the entry. Is there anyway of back dating the entry date at all? thanks in advanced....... Gary

hi. welcome to the forums!

i date all of my notes in the title (yymmdd). i think this is the easiest way. it has all sorts of pros and cons, though. i wrote about it here:
http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

if you are on windows, it is pretty simple to change the created date. i think you have to press something to make the metadata show, but once you have done that, it is just a matter of editing.

on the mac, it is a bit of a pain nowadays (it used to be like windows). you'll have to click once to view the metadata and change it. for a year, that is 365 clicks more than the windows version... so, you might want to do what i do, and have your evernote account on both kinds of machines!

on ios (iphone/ipad) you cannot change the created date. again, this is where the date in the title method works well.

good luck!
  • 10 months later...

For anyone else who Googled their way here:

On a Mac, select or open a note and press ⇧I (or Note menu ⇒ Show Note Info) to show the metadata.  If there's a faster way, I'd love to know about it.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Yep, on the Mac it USED TO BE much easier.  The Created Date was always shown in the Note Window, and all you had to do is just click in it and change it.

But the Evernote Designers decided we didn't need to always see the Dates, so they changed this with EN Mac Ver 5.

Most of us complained loudly during the Ver 5 Beta, but to no avail.

Evernote knows best!  LOL  (yeah, right, just like Father knows best).

Archived