(Archived) From JOTT to Dial2Do

Hi folks. Having heard about the integration of Jott and Evernote, I was keen on signing up for a Jott account. Alas, they now charge, and I'm cheap, so I did some research and stumbled upon Dial2Do. I signed up, entered my Evernote email address as one of my contacts, and VOILA... my voice messages get transcribed and sent to my Evernote inbox. So cool. More here:

http://www.dial2do.com/

I've had a lot of luck with reQall as well... You get 2x the recording time of Jott and similar organizational capabilities. You can also set it up to go directly to your EverNote email address. ...and it's still free.

Just signed up (to compare it to Dial2Do), and was not impressed. I couldn't figure out how to send it to Evernote, their outgoing messages/hints are longer than Dial2Do, and the length of recordings the same. Is there ANY benefit to choosing ReQall to Dial2Do?

I couldn't figure out how to send it to Evernote

You can do it one of two ways using your EverNote account email address. You can set up your reQall account to use the EverNote email as your personal/default address, then everything will go there. You can also set up the Evernote email address as a contact, then "share" notes with that address.

Is there ANY benefit to choosing ReQall to Dial2Do?

Not sure, I took a quick look at Dial2Do but I didn't sign up... The good news is that as long as there are a few of these services to choose from, there will probably always be at least one free one!

Having said that, some of the things I like about reQuall are:

(1) Recording length (was 60+ seconds, not sure what it is now). You can also dial in and *listen* to all of your messages.

UPDATE: I just tested this today (22-Sep-08) and they have apparently reduced the recording length from 60 to 30 seconds :-(

(2) Task management features, and multiple "smart" lists... You can get these sent on demand as nicely formatted bulleted lists via text message

(3) iCal and RSS feeds of your notes/lists

(4) There is a PC application; you can record into your PC microphone then paste it into another app after the translation finishes

By the way, there is a free version of Jott, but there are two things that really stink about it:

(1) The recording length is cut to 15 seconds, and

(2) You have to log in to get your messages.

I did, however, keep my free Jott account for one reason: Jott Feeds... You can set up RSS feeds and listen to them on your phone. If the radio is all commercials on my drive to work, I can listen to news, weather, sports, etc. on demand using the speakerphone on my cell.

I couldn't figure out how to send it to Evernote

You can do it one of two ways using your EverNote account email address. You can set up your reQall account to use the EverNote email as your personal/default address, then everything will go there. You can also set up the Evernote email address as a contact, then "share" notes with that address.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to share with anybody using reqall, they have to be reqall members. I wasn't able to send an e-mail to a contact who is not a reQall member.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to share with anybody using reqall, they have to be reqall members. I wasn't able to send an e-mail to a contact who is not a reQall member.
Rats. You are correct. I just tried to do it via sharing... sorry for posting bad information! You can add your EverNote email address to your contacts list in reQall, but it's not until they accept your invite to share reminders that the contact will become one of your "buddies". I had just set the primary email on the account to my EverNote email address. That worked great for me, but there's probably a lot of folks that don't want *everything* going there. Maybe the reQall team will read this thread and realize that they're strategy to get more people to sign up is actually driving more people away!

The only other option would be to create a separate account for your EverNote "buddy" using your EverNote email address for the account. Then you could share some notes with that buddy and have them show up in your EverNote database, while still having the default be your primary email address.

I couldn't figure out how to send it to Evernote, their outgoing messages/hints are longer than Dial2Do, and the length of recordings the same.
Now I understand what you were saying. Not sure why the reQall guys would require your contacts to join before you can send them messages. This was not a requirement for Jott, and sounds like it's not a requirement for Dial2Do. It also looks like reQall downgraded their recording length from 60 to 30 seconds. Regarding the voice prompts, you can interrupt them, so you don't have to wait.

Hope that clears things up.

Archived