Terms of Use in commercial environment

Hi,

To me the terms of use aren't really clear on this.

A colleague of mine wants to use Evernote in the office. She doesn't use it for commercial purpose, just to help her stay synced with her to do list etc.

Is she still allowed to make use of the free version, since it is installed on a computer in a commercial environment?

• Level 5*

hi. welcome to the forums! the quick answer is "yes," she can use the free version wherever and whenever she wants.

you can find the tos here

http://www.evernote.com/about/tos/

everything you put into evernote is yours. how you manage your database (installed on your company's computer or your own) is your responsibility, and evernote does not distinguish between business and personal use. there are differences between the free and premium service, and if she decides she wants (for example) to put in large amounts of data, then she can upgrade at a later date. For many light use cases, though, there is no difference between free and premium. whichever service level she chooses, she can use it anywhere :)

The only concern may be if she were using it to house work related info. In that case, she'd need to know her company had no issues with that info being on someone else's server(s). IE HIPAA. But as GM said, Evernote does not mind if either a free or premium user uses it in a corporate environment.

• 1 year later...

NOTHING in the 20 pages of TOS addresses if evernote is free for commercial use. There is zero support for non paid customers. I've spent an hour checking this and only found one two year old thread written by a volunteer. Can an actual evernote employee or their lawyer answer a simple question-IS EVERNOTE FREE FOR BUSINESS USE? Volunteer moderators do not have any authority to comment on business policy. THANKS!

NOTHING in the 20 pages of TOS addresses if evernote is free for commercial use. There is zero support for non paid customers. I've spent an hour checking this and only found one two year old thread written by a volunteer. Can an actual evernote employee or their lawyer answer a simple question-IS EVERNOTE FREE FOR BUSINESS USE? Volunteer moderators do not have any authority to comment on business policy. THANKS!

Of course there is support for free accounts. However, premium accounts have priority. See my sig for more info.

This page hasnt been updated in two years. Nothing in the referenced TOS link says evernote is free for commercial use. Its impossible to contact anyone at evernote without paying for the business plan. At this point Evernote seems like the least good option.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/53388-is-evernote-free-for-commerical-use/?p=260682

• Level 5*

Of course it's FREE for BUSINESS USE: there's NOTHING in the TOS that prohibits use by a BUSINESS, either FREE or PAID.  If you need REAL SUPPORT from an ACTUAL Evernote Employee, then you should open a SUPPORT REQUEST. It doesn't matter if you are a FREMIUM or a PREMIUM customer.

Archived