Better UI and Formatting

I wish Evernote (on Mac) looked better.. looked as good say as their websites.. or even this forum page..

I find using it to be so dry and lifeless and rigid.. writing a note feels like you're working on the backend~

Are there any future plans to create a more enjoyable UI and better text formatting?

chad

• Level 5*

hi! welcome to the forums.

interesting. i actually think the new ui looks really good. personally, i think this issue could best be addressed by allowing more customization (my mantra on these forums). however, perhaps you could offer some concrete suggestions. i know, for example, that some people have criticized the lack of colors.

I think the main issue for me is that lack of formatting, or the feeling like you are in the most stripped down text editor when writing a note. TaskPaper comes to mind where the look and functionality is still very simple but it feels more fluid, and you're able to organise your information in a more meaningful or enjoyable way.

Some color might help for sure.

I like to overall UI too, but when it comes to inputting text I'd like more delicious and less utilitarian..

Small problems of course, but with Evernote you have the potential to spend a lot of time in there, so making it feel more habitable is a good thing.

• Level 5*

i don't see anything in taskpaper that evernote cannot do. in fact, it seems like an even more stripped down version of a text editor than evernote. could you be more specific about what makes it feel more "fluid" to you, or what makes it easier to organize your information in a more "meaningful" or "enjoyable" way? nothing against taskpaper, because it looks like a great product, but it seems far less capable than evernote, and no less utilitarian looking...

in fact, if evernote gave me freedom to muck around with their ui, i'd be looking for a way to strip it down even more by putting in toggles to hide all of the fancy stuff :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I too have just been looking for better formatting options. I used Evernote on mac, and I understand why the question was asked. 

The Evernote client UI is difficult to use. Its cluttered. Its hard to pinpoint exactly why isn't working, but I suspect its a combination of the amount of text, the colours, the font etc. 

I love how there is such a loyal following of Evernote, but am disappointed other users get straight onto the threads and dismissing other peoples thoughts. People who have taken the time to write, in the hope of improving the application. Id like to think we would all have a common goal of making Evernote as good as it can be, and its nice to see people taking the time to input. 

Although I would like to continue to use Evernote, I think Im going to have to find another solution. In the note which I have just started I experienced issues with 2 of the formatting options available: 

1. Word numbering doesn't allow me to format as I would like. I would like to have a line between each number. Perhaps there is a bug, but I couldn't achieve this. The numbering wants to number on the following line, not where I would like it to number.  

2. Following this the highlighting didn't work, rather than higlighting the selected text, it highlighted the rest of the paragraph.

As for asking users specifically what they would like, I think there are enough people talking about the Evernote GUI, that there is clearly something ascetically not too pleasing on the interface. There are experts in Interface design, and I would think that these are the people who should be consulted.

Please Evernote, start listening! :) 

Hi,

I too have just been looking for better formatting options. I used Evernote on mac, and I understand why the question was asked. 

The Evernote client UI is difficult to use. Its cluttered. Its hard to pinpoint exactly why isn't working, but I suspect its a combination of the amount of text, the colours, the font etc. 

I love how there is such a loyal following of Evernote, but am disappointed other users get straight onto the threads and dismissing other peoples thoughts. People who have taken the time to write, in the hope of improving the application. Id like to think we would all have a common goal of making Evernote as good as it can be, and its nice to see people taking the time to input. 

Although I would like to continue to use Evernote, I think Im going to have to find another solution. In the note which I have just started I experienced issues with 2 of the formatting options available: 

1. Word numbering doesn't allow me to format as I would like. I would like to have a line between each number. Perhaps there is a bug, but I couldn't achieve this. The numbering wants to number on the following line, not where I would like it to number.  

2. Following this the highlighting didn't work, rather than higlighting the selected text, it highlighted the rest of the paragraph.

As for asking users specifically what they would like, I think there are enough people talking about the Evernote GUI, that there is clearly something ascetically not too pleasing on the interface. There are experts in Interface design, and I would think that these are the people who should be consulted.

Please Evernote, start listening! :)

With respect to the two issues you have raised:

1) I suspect you are referring to numbered lists? In this case, the behaviour in Evernote is consistent with almost any other word processor and text editor. Automatic numbering occurs on each line break, if you try and insert an empty line, numbering stops. If you want an extra line break between numbers I guess you'll have to do it manually, as is the case with other editors like Word. 

2) This highlighting behaviour is odd and I cannot reproduce it. I just tried, in several notes, highlighting segments of text. Only the text I have selected gets highlighted the rest of the paragraph remains un-changed... could you be working with text that was copy and pasted from another application? Does this occur with ALL your notes?

Archived