Scan size

neal105

Just curious about the average scan size of a document. A bit of a broad question as there are small receipts, 2 page color pdf's, black & white docs. But I'm trying to figure out two things. Do people scan docs to use electronically within EN or do you scan with the possibility that it will need to be printed some day? I'm mainly talking about receipts, legal docs, doctor bills/medical insurance.

I have been scanning at a resolution that will be able to be printed with a good quality. Some of my one page 8.5 x 11 pdf's are in the 1.5 - 2 mb range. But as I look around the forums this seems to be a big file.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I scan at 300 dpi (one scanner) & 400 dpi (another scanner). Most of my one page 8 1/2 x 11 inch scans are 400-900 kb. Whenever I've printed things out, they've been sufficient for my purpose. And they are color, PDFs.

Almost anything I scan, I figure I may need/want to print out someday but probably won't.

• Level 5*

Almost everything I scan is 600 dpi, and unless there are photographs (pamphlets or something like that), they are black and white. If you have a good feed scanner (ScanSnap), then you just stick it in there and it produces the document. It doesn't take much longer than 300 dpi, and it pretty much does all of the work for you. I will start paying attention more over the next few days to confirm, but it looks like my one page scans are almost all under 100 kb.

Archived