(Archived) Mobile Web text note editing

"Mobile Web text note editing: We’ve added the ability to edit text notes on Evernote Mobile Web. This feature is coming soon to Evernote for iPhone. Evernote Mobile Web (www.evernote.com/m) is a version of Evernote optimized for mobile browsers."

I don't get it... where exactly do I find this option when using the EN for Mobile Web?

If the note is plain text, no formatting, the option appears at the bottom with the other controls.

This applies only to plain text notes, though--create a note via the web or email and it should be editable.

post-8681-131906062419_thumb.png

If the note is plain text, no formatting, the option appears at the bottom with the other controls.

That answers it then! Most of my notes are quite formatted and include pictures, etc...

Thanks.

If you create a note on the mobile UI, you will be able to edit it on the mobile UI, but we prevent you from editing rich text notes with a lot of formatting, images, PDFs, etc. It would be too easy to destroy important information, since there's no rich text editor on the mobile platform.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm....I tried converting a note to plain text by cutting it and then pasting it back in, using Windows' "plain text without formatting" option. Unfortunately, the note is still not editable from my Blackberry browser. Any ideas how to do this?

There may be some subtle (i.e. not visible) rich text markup in that note. For example, a lot of web pages include tiny one-pixel blank images, etc.

Instead of changing that note in place, you may want to copy the text, paste it into a text-only editor (like notepad), then make anew note, copy and paste back into the new note. This will avoid anything that was hanging around the old note.

There may be some subtle (i.e. not visible) rich text markup in that note. For example, a lot of web pages include tiny one-pixel blank images, etc.

Instead of changing that note in place, you may want to copy the text, paste it into a text-only editor (like notepad), then make anew note, copy and paste back into the new note. This will avoid anything that was hanging around the old note.

Thanks, I'll give that a try...until you get that Blackberry client rolled out!

Hello again. I tried the suggested method of pasting the note into Notepad, then pasting it back into a new note, and it worked fine. The new note can be edited from either the native Blackberry browser or Opera Mini. In both browsers, however, the text entry box that opens up is quite narrow, only about a third the width of the Blackberry screen. Although it can be used, it's awkward to enter text that way, often only one word to a line. It seems that it would make sense to use as much of the BB screen space as possible. I'm pretty sure that the size of this window is determined by the code at Evernote's end, rather than by the browser. If so, it would be helpful if this could be modified in the mobile version of the site, to get an edit window that makes better use of the screen space.

By the way...and off the topic...is there a maximum size for a single note? I haven't seen that anywhere.

By the way...and off the topic...is there a maximum size for a single note? I haven't seen that anywhere.

The maximum size is huge ... 5 million Unicode characters of hypertext, plus up to 25MB of attached resources (images, audio files, PDF, etc.).

The width of the text editor is currently "lowest common denominator" so that it fits on standard mobile web phones. We plan to improve this over time, but this requires some complicated guesswork about the "real" size of the display based on browser "User-agent" headers, etc. I.e. it's not impossible, but if we did it wrong, the experience would become broken for some users.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Why couldn't/wouldn't you use the same form/app you have for entering new notes? If the Edit feature used that same user interface, it seems that it would work much better, and certainly would be much more usable, then it is now.

I really do like the Evernote platform, but the restrictions on editing on the Blackberry makes it really tough to use.

-mike

Archived