(Archived) Best apps for: screen recording and website capturing?

I could only find apps for screen capture like skitch which is great. Is there any integrated apps to do screen recordings?

Also is there an app to capture full website page source code (almost like a full site download). Sometimes I like the way something functions on a website and I want to be able to show a developer that functionality.

• Level 5*

If you want to show a developer how something looks or works on a page, you need the published page, not the source code. There are thousands of apps out there that will copy pages, some integrate with your browser and others depend on whether you're a PC or a Mac. Some PDF applications will download web pages or sites and package to PDF files. If you need the code for a page, you can use "view source" in your browser and just cut and paste to a word-processor.

Screen recording software does exist, but again depends on your operating system.

Also is there an app to capture full website page source code (almost like a full site download). Sometimes I like the way something functions on a website and I want to be able to show a developer that functionality.

If you are a Firefox user you could use the Scrapbook add-on to capture a website. This isn't a simple screenshot, which the add-on is capable of, but it actually captures the whole page and all associated files and stores them in a folder on your hard drive. If you want to view the page again you can just open up Firefox and find the page in your Scrapbook list.

As far as screen recording, it really depends on your device. If you've got a Mac it's easy-peasy. Did it recently.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4024

Learn about Screen Recording in QuickTime Player

You can use QuickTime Player to make a video recording of your screen and save it as a movie file for later viewing. This can be helpful for showing others how to perform a task, workflow, or for training.

Simply click the File menu in QuickTime Player and choose New Screen Recording. To start recording what's occurring on your Mac's screen, press the round record button in the controls that open. To stop recording your Mac's screen, you can click the stop button in the menu bar, or press the Command-Control-Escape keys (all at once) on the keyboard.

Clicking on the downward triangle (using the mouse) gives you additional options, such as letting you choose whether to use the built-in microphone on your Mac, an external microphone you've connected to your Mac, a microphone from a connected Apple display, or to simply use no microphone at all. The triangle also allows you to adjust the finished quality of your screen recording, and to select what location (on your Mac) to save your screen recording when finished.

Archived