Evernote to document computer/stereo/tv connections

I take photos of the backs of our stereos, tvs, Tivo boxes & my computers. This is helpful if I want to know if there are any available ports to hook something else up (cuz goodness knows if you have empty ports, ya gotta use 'em, right?) as well as if something comes unplugged. Or, if you intentionally unplug things in order to move furniture or paint. Of course, what with all the stuff plugged into things these days, you still need to label all the cables. But you can annotate the image (with third party software) to denote that these 3 cables are for the tv & such.

Along the same lines I keep notes for all the misc 'things' that eventually need replacement or I want sizes for around the house. A/C Filter sizes, battery sizes for all the various devices like wireless alarms sensors, remotes, doors & windows (never know when you might see something and wonder...will that fit?)

I recently used Evernote to document my pool equipment layout. Took a picture of the pool equipment and then used photoshop to add in water flow directions and labels for each pump and value. Imported that photo into Evernote and then added the How-To text at the bottom. Now when things go wrong (like my hot tub pumping water out into the pool :) ) I just whip out my phone, lookup the note, and can tell which valve is stuck. This will also help when I go to sell my house. I can give the new owner a digital copy of the How-To instructions. I've created similar How-to notes for car maintenance. Have it setup so my teenage son can access it. Has saved him a couple of times at college.

This will also help when I go to sell my house. I can give the new owner a digital copy of the How-To instructions.

We recently sold a house & I did this. Gave the new owners a CD with a photo of where the sewer clean out is located, the info on the people who refinished the cabinets, did the shutters, invoices for the dishwasher, refrigerator, etc. We lived there 19 years so I included photos of the way the house looked when we bought it, including the yard. I think it's fun to see how a house evolves over time.

We received a few photos of the house we purchased & moved into. They were taken when the owners before the owners before us were selling it. :) IOW, the photos were part of the "sales package" the owners before us saw when they were buying it. I will be scanning that info to pass along to the next owners. But since I swore I'm never moving again, I'm not planning on having to do that any time soon!

Archived