(Archived) Search indexing of pictures, handwriting - question

I only recently learned that the indexing of text within pictures/ink notes/etc takes place on an EN server (I know... should have realized it wasn't a local task), and am curious about how priority is determined for the indexing? I read where EN Premium users get a higher priority, but still would like to know if there is criteria, or is it simply first in, first out?

Sometimes my notes are indexed almost as quickly as I create them, sometimes over night, sometimes only after several days. If I were a Premium user is there some time frame that I could expect?

Thanks.

I seem to recall a discussion about this on one of the podcasts (really need to find a way to get automatic transcriptions) and a reference in the Evernote Tech blog.

IIRC there are 2 independent queues with independent server pools. Separate (unpublished) standards of performance for the queues. Got the impression it is less than hour for premium and less than a day for free. Somebody from Evernote Operations would be needed to give you a definitive answer.

Each queue is FIFO.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Evernote for several months, and I bought a premium account yesterday.

Several one-page images that I uploaded a month ago (when I didn't have premium) are still being indexed. Does anyone know whether I'll have these indexed faster if I re-upload them, or should Evernote recognize I've switched to premium and move these up the queue?

Separately, how long does indexing generally take for free and premium customers, respectively? Is there any average or normal time on this, or is it totally random?

Thanks for any wisdom you can offer.

Evernote Indexing System is resilient enough to be operational even if only one of each type of the components will remain functional (and currently there are 37 AMP processors and over 500 ENRS server processes in operation processing around 2 million media files a day).

http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2011/09/3 ... ng-system/

The above quote came from a just released Evernote Tech Blog article describing the Evernote Indexing System.

The article unfortunately does not cover:

- Free versus Premium queue managament

- Service response time targets

I also have an open question on how a user can determine if a resource has been indexed.

Thanks a lot for the response, and hopefully we'll get answers to all these questions soon.

Am I incorrect in thinking that on Mac (the only Evernote platform I've used so far), the little icon in the top-right of the note box shows whether it has been indexed? It seems that image-including notes with the icon of the little magnifying glass are OCRable and image-including notes with the syncing icon are not yet OCRable.

Thanks a lot for the response, and hopefully we'll get answers to all these questions soon.

Alex responded fully to the questions. See comments:

http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2011/09/3 ... ng-system/

Am I incorrect in thinking that on Mac (the only Evernote platform I've used so far), the little icon in the top-right of the note box shows whether it has been indexed? It seems that image-including notes with the icon of the little magnifying glass are OCRable and image-including notes with the syncing icon are not yet OCRable.

DIIK. I don't use the Mac client.

Archived