(Archived) Suggestion: named tag sets for easier clipping

Generally, I don't just tag a clipped article with a single tag, but with a lot of tags. I often find that I tend to categorize some articles using a few specific tags. It would be great if we could create (save) named tag sets; then, when clipping -> I would then click on the named tag set -> this would add the (say) 6 tags under that tag set in the tag list input of the clipper -> I could then either clip the article immediately, or I could manually add or remove tags from the tag list (that is already filled in after having clicked on the named tag set).

So, you're saying you'd like to save a list of tags that would auto-populate on all newly created notes? Just trying to clarify to make sure I'm hearing you right.

I believe the suggestion is to create aliases that represent multiple tags, not unlike aliases for multiple email addresses. This is a great suggestion.

That way, I don't have to separately click on "news, newyorktimes, business, 2011" for every article I save under the business section of the New York Times this year. I could create an alias named "nytimes_business_2011". I could even create "nytimes_business_current" and alias that to "nytimes_business_2011".

This would go a long way towards combining the flexibility of tags with the convenience of a hierarchical directory. The advantage of having a directory news\newyorktimes\business\2011 is that a single click adds four pieces of metadata to the note; the disadvantage, as we all know, is that "2011" and "business" don't in any way belong "under" nytimes or news. With tags, the advantages and disadvantages are reversed. Tags-with-aliases gives you a big step up in functionality.

I believe the suggestion is to create aliases that represent multiple tags, not unlike aliases for multiple email addresses. This is a great suggestion.

Agreed.

e.g. I add the tags "daily","journal" a lot. "dj" or "@dj" alias would speed that up a lot.

Hmmmm.

I can do this now. Will use "@dj" tag when I create a new note and then use Ctrl-Alt-T in windows client to expand tags later.

Or maybe "#dj" to be more consistent with other syntax.

Interesting.

After a time of using tag "#dj" for lots of daily journal entries I ended up:

- Staying with "#dj"

- Removing the "daily" and "journal" tags from my journal notes (lots)

So. Instead of expanding tags, I ended up with replacement tag.

Reasons:

Very quick to tag. # in either web or windows client.

Easy to search. e.g. "dj evernote" or if I need to be exact "tag:#dj evernote"

Visible status. This is now the first tag in my tag list.

Don't need recurring maintenance task to maintain tags.

Gets rid of or+and cases in Saved Searches.

As usual, working effectively with Evernote is an evolutionary process. Try something. Sometimes it works, sometimes you can do it better, sometimes both. Not all unintended consequences are bad.

Not a disclaimer of my initial support for the proposal. Just that the particular use case turned out to be a bad example.

• Level 5*
As usual, working effectively with Evernote is an evolutionary process. Try something. Sometimes it works, sometimes you can do it better, sometimes both. Not all unintended consequences are bad.

That's been my experience, too. So long as you don't go too whole hog before an idea's proved out, it's pretty safe.

Archived