(Archived) Clipper "markup" vs. image annotation in EN3

First off, may I say as a new user and discoverer of EN (yesterday!) I''m so far pretty impressed. I was looking for an application to replace my dog-eared lab notebooks. I used a weblog a few years back, and played with the online note apps (Google notebook etc.), but I need something that has both online sharing/synch'ing and easy drag/drop, copy/paste capability for images and other media.

So far so good! My question/comment surrounds annotating images. Please (please!) correct me if I'm wrong, but so far as I can tell it is only possible to annotate images during the clipping process using the Universal Clipper (I'm using Windows btw) and not within the EN client itself?

I would like to have the annotations editable, such that I can change them later, but the clipper presumably just copies your already annotated image as a bitmap... It also seems somehow philosophically wrong to screen capture something that I should intrinsically be able to pull into EN in its native form and annotate there. Any comments or future outlooks welcome!

Another few oddities: I can centre some types of clipped or copied images within a note, but not others...? And the ability to create/edit tables, which has already been commented on, would also be extremely useful.

Anyway, so far so good and I look forward to future releases that hopefully expand the functionality and make EN an even better tool!

Cheers, Mark

We don't plan to become a full image editing application, but we may add some very basic operations for images into the application. In general, you're always going to be better off doing your image editing, cleanup, and annotation in another desktop utility of your choice, and then add the images.

Many thanks for the swift response! Yes, basic operations are all I am looking for - in fact the same operations available in an Ink note would be perfect if I could overlay them on an image (i.e. to highlight/circle a feature, add some text, draw an arrow etc.)

Cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it would only make sense to have the editing tools already available in "screenshot" mode(and ink) available in "edit" mode as well. I wouldn't think it would be to cumbersome to add something that is already functional elsewhere, but then again, I`m no programmer.

By the way, love the newest Windows GUI improvements, i.e. tape view, no captions option, and upload meter.

i'm all for simple annotation once the image is in en. does anyone have suggestions on what they use prior to importing into a note? i use a tablet and would like to highlight, circle, call out within a image.

Archived