(Archived) Max. recommended size of EN3 ?

With EN2 there was a 256MB-ish ceiling for best performance. Going over it was possible but was not recommended.

With EN3 now releasing with a 500MB/month update rate, what is the recommended max. size now? And is that per EN3 or per notebook?

The previous database technology was limited by the amount of memory in your computer, but Evernote Beta for Windows has switched over to a different technology (SQLite) that removes this hard upper limit. This means that there is no specific maximum size, but performance for searching/sorting will gradually slow as your local database gets large. We've tested with very large databases that exceed available memory.

• 8 months later...

As my collection of notes grows at times I run into situation we write about in the forum: slow startup after Windows boot, "preparing notes to display" message, slower response on instant search, lot of disk activity sometimes, etc.

You wrote that:

performance for searching/sorting will gradually slow as your local database gets large. We've tested with very large databases that exceed available memory.

What I've failed to ask is when you tested those databases larger than 4 GB (I assume?) where would you say the cut-off point was?

Are the problems with slower load/search/sort related to table fragmentation and would the optimize option help then?

We've tested with large databases, larger than that, but the mix of notes is highly variable. 4GB of bookmarks from Delicious will be entirely different than 4GB of PDF documents. We're working to define the performance issues with some mixes of notes.

Thanks

I don't have an exact answer for you, but the more individual images it needs to display, the more processing power will go into rendering those images.

If you have a purely text-based database, with no attachments of any kind, you would have minimal performance issues.

Archived