(Archived) Importing Folder creates a new instance when file changes

Hey,

Everynote seems like a good idea, but the main functions i think it should have, just arent implemented.

It just doesn't work out for me.

Its like you built a nice Castle, without a door.

The function i need is the following:

My To-Do list is pinned to my desktop. when i change something there, it gets changed in the .txt file saved on my computer.

Evernote was told to import the folder, containing that .txt file.

Now, everytime i change a small bit, like a line for example, evernote keeps the old import, and imports it anew, so i have multiple instances of the same file.

Furthermore, why does evernote take the first line of the file as name, and not the filename? That makes no sense, i save the file as To-Do, and then have to write To-Do in the first line, just for evernote to call it To-Do

Is there some posibility for evernote to check if that file is already existing, instead of creating a quadrillion of files, all almost the same?

Thanks in advance,

Me

Why not just keep your to-do-list in Evernote and cut out all the other stuff?

because i've always liked having notes on my desktop, i see them all the time when i work on the pc, reminding me of whats left to do, then i heard about evernote, and thought great, if im outside and want to check whats on my todolist, i can just check up evernote, but that doesn't work.

i do not want to fire up a program everytime.

• Level 5*

That's the way that Evernote works, at least currently. It syncs among instances of its databases (cloud, desktop, etc.); it does not sync between its databases and files on your hard drive.

If you keep it in Evernote, you can access it from the web easily; can we assume that you generally have that handy?

it would be nice to have a checkbox inside the import function, that will just delete older entries if the title is already existing. from my point of view thats so simple, yet so useful.

guess i will just have to write my own little program then.

Thanks for all of your replies!

• Level 5*

I'm guessing the percentage of the user base that is going to see the same behaviour is tiny, so finding your own workaround may be the best bet.

it would be nice to have a checkbox inside the import function, that will just delete older entries if the title is already existing. from my point of view thats so simple, yet so useful.

guess i will just have to write my own little program then.

Thanks for all of your replies!

Either that or...use an app that's a (drum roll please!) To Do App!!! I use the free version of Todoodledo on my desktop. There are several iPhone apps that integrate with that service (as well as RTM & the various other cloud to do apps). Some of them even remove the item, once it's checked or move it to the bottom of the list.

Archived