(Archived) Feature Request: View HTML Source of Note and edit

I get some bizarre spacing and formatting on web clips from time to time and it would be really nice to be able to just view source on a note and strip any html I don't want by hand.

Another cool approach to this would be to set a default text color and background color to be applied to all of my clips for me automatically - a default style if you will.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

You need to tell us which client (e.g. Windows, Mac, iPad, Blackberry) you are running on (there are specific forums for these). If you're on a desktop client, you can always export to Evernote format (.enex) and hand-edit that (it's XML, with formatting), and then re-import it.

You need to tell us which client (e.g. Windows, Mac, iPad, Blackberry) you are running on (there are specific forums for these). If you're on a desktop client, you can always export to Evernote format (.enex) and hand-edit that (it's XML, with formatting), and then re-import it.

:shock: :? 8)

Need a knock head on wood icon.

Thanks for the comment Jeff. I have been looking for a "view source" for problem notes. Obvious now.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to second this feature request. The ability to view and edit the HTML for notes on the Mac & Windows apps would be VERY helpful. I'm all the time wanting to change some complex table formatting or strip specific styles from pasted content and can't.

Exporting and reimporting is way to cumbersome for the amount of times I want to do this.

• Level 5*

The ENML Editor allows you to edit the post, and save it back to Evernote. I think that the earlier comments about saving to ENEX format were before the ENML Editor existed.

• Level 5

Related to this, I think: Does Evernote strip out XML comments from the ENEX format? I would think if they were preserved we'd be able to use them for metadata - which might be useful here or even in Kustom Note.

But somehow I doubt they're preserved on XML parsing and on regeneration on export.

• Level 5*

OK, well I tried a little test:

• I edited a note in the ENML Editor: http://enml-editor.ping13.net/
  • Added an XML comment: <!-- Hello --> (imaginative, no?)
  • Saved the note, and sync'ed with the Windows client.
  • Exported the note to .ENEX, and pulled it up in a text editor
  • Validated that the comment was preserved
  • Synced my Kindle Fire (Evernote for Android client)
  • Edited the note, and synced it back up
  • Synced the Windows client, and exported the note to >ENEX
  • Edited the latest version and found out that the comment had been stripped

So it sounds like your theory that different clients handle comments differently, so preserving metadata in comments is probably not a safe way to go about things. Too bad,

• Level 5*

That's unfortunate. My test wasn't exhaustive, but seems pretty conclusive (did it a couple of times). Might want to post in the Developer's forum to see whether anyone else has come up with some alternative way to go about this, using known supported constructs.

Archived