(Archived) Evernote and GTD

I recently reviewed this great website for implementing GTD on Evernote

Tags do a nice job of grouping action items for category and context.

You can group notes by tag for specific projects, @home, @work, today, this week, someday/maybe, wating on others etc.

Two capabilities I lack:

Ability to TAG a Notebook:

Sometimes you have an ACTION that might have several emails associated with it ie several notes. It's not quite a Project, but needs multiple notes.

An example might be 4 photos of a brochure that you capture, and want to tag as @review for later. Currently, I'd have to tag each photo with the @review tag, and they wouldnt necessarily be grouped together. If I could Tag a notebook @review, then notebooks as well as individual notes would be displayed when I click on the @review tag to the left. Then i could see the 4 photos in the notebook, and wouldnt even need to tag each individually.

Ability to drag/drop multiple emails directly into a notebook or note:

Currently you can right click an email in Outlook add it to EN, but you can't drag an email specifically into a notebook, or note in EN. An example is if I buy something on Amazon, I send the order email into EN via right click, and add a tag @waiting for it to arrive. When I later get a Shipped email, I'd like to add that to the note (or a notebook) and keep it as @waiting, but now have both emails to reference. Currently I can only cut/paste.

Any plan on including tagging capability for a notebook, or email drag and drop in future versions?

Any GOOD workarounds?

• Level 5*

You didn't mention which client you're talking about. There are specific forums for specific clients. Since I use the Windows client, that's the one that I will reference.

Ability to TAG a Notebook:

You're very unlikely to get this capability. Tags are attributes of notes, not notebooks.

Sometimes you have an ACTION that might have several emails associated with it ie several notes. It's not quite a Project, but needs multiple notes.

An example might be 4 photos of a brochure that you capture, and want to tag as @review for later. Currently, I'd have to tag each photo with the @review tag, and they wouldnt necessarily be grouped together. If I could Tag a notebook @review, then notebooks as well as individual notes would be displayed when I click on the @review tag to the left. Then i could see the 4 photos in the notebook, and wouldnt even need to tag each individually.

Not sure what you're trying to do here. If you have the notes already tagged with @review, then you can easily see them all together, even if they're not in the same notebook. Conversely, it's pretty easy to tag multiple notes in one operation.

Ability to drag/drop multiple emails directly into a notebook or note:

Currently you can right click an email in Outlook add it to EN, but you can't drag an email specifically into a notebook, or note in EN. An example is if I buy something on Amazon, I send the order email into EN via right click, and add a tag @waiting for it to arrive. When I later get a Shipped email, I'd like to add that to the note (or a notebook) and keep it as @waiting, but now have both emails to reference. Currently I can only cut/paste.

You might want to check out note merging: make a selection of several notes, then right-click on the selection and select Merge Notes.

~Jeff

• Level 5

I have found Evernote to be more powerful if I limit the notebooks to high-level topics (employment, leisure, home, family, acquaintances).

Initially, I started with very specific notebooks, but found they were not helping. So I cut back to 7 and rely more heavily on tags and Evernote search grammar. Other people are pushing the upper limit of notebooks (I think it is 250 now).

Until Evernote develops links between notes, I am using this process to link related notes. It works for me. Others have developed alternate methods.

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20897&p=88631#p88631

• Level 5*
Then i could see the 4 photos in the notebook, and wouldnt even need to tag each individually.

You could create use a temporary notebook to store the notes until you want to consolidate them. Or a temporary tag could be used for that matter. Use the merge functionality to pull them together as per Jeff when you are done. (Not sure I get the difference in tagging each note and putting each note in a notebook and tagging it.)

When I later get a Shipped email, I'd like to add that to the note (or a notebook)

You can definitely add it to the same notebook, though I'm sensing that doesn't address your issue.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is the windows client.

The Merge Notes would solve many of the issues. I'll try that.

I was thinking that Notebooks with Tags would be a logical solution for housing multi note Projects, but I get that it can be done with Taggs. If one "hides unassigned Tags" I guess you can keep those one off tags for a short term project from always being in the list of your main contexts for place and time, like @work, or @thisweek.

Archived