(Archived) Feature Request & Question

Viv Ilo Veith

Idea

The question is - is there a thread of feature requests and suggestions? I could not find a section of the forum specifically for that.

The feature request is:

Making it so we can password protect specific notebooks or/and notes.

This would just be an added layer of protection if a computer or device got stolen. It would make me feel more comfortable at least!

I use Mac and Android versions of Evernote and am a Premium user - in case it matters.

However, my hunch is that this feature would be appreciated by Premium users on all platforms.

6 replies to this idea

You can encrypt text within notes. Anything heftier than that is not supported. Please search on the word "security" for more info. It may not necessarily apply to Mac/Android, but EN's stance on this is pretty much across the board, regardless of OS.

Security such as password protection is very important. I'm not technical at all but I never store any important document on my macbook, but having EverNote installed on my macbook and iphone I'm afraid that someone would be able to access it if I lost my Macbook/iphone, a password option for opening the app i believe is a must for a general user like me, therefore i'm still hesitate to store important notes/documents on EverNote - making it much less useful...

I'm pretty sure that i will discontinue my premium account if i don't see this feature available in the near future...

• Level 5*

OK then, based on everything Evernote have said in public it looks like you will be going.

From a different thread but I think the reply applies here too.

Re: How to log out

by metrodon on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Dropbox is often compared to Evernote for a bunch of reasons.

You can't log out of Dropbox on a Mac - you can unlink, which I'm guessing removes any data from your local machine.

This seems really simple to me - on your own computer you are responsible for the security of your data and so you take steps to protect it.

If you are using a work computer or a friend's computer or anyone that doesn't belong to you and you are using a service like Evernote or Dropbox then you choose the web. This helps to prevent you from inadvertently downloading private data.

I'm going to throw in my new favourite signature here:

This is not going to either...

Not get a premium account

Give my premium account back

Stop me buying premium accounts for the thousands of people in my company

Stop me using a free account and make me go back to OneNote, Things, etc

etc, etc, ad nauseum

I am going to pull this topic back from your hijack. Yes, I also think it is entirely foolish for someone to "threaten" that they will stop being a premium user or a user at all if they do not get their way . . . but just because someone posted something like that it is not a reason to hijack a topic. Nor does it make sense to argue feature requests people make because you personally use Evernote in a different way.

The topic here is simply this: A feature request for a way to password protect either specific notes or a specific notebook.

The Answer is: As Burger&Fries mentioned above, you can encrypt text inside a note.

Here is a short video that shows how to encrypt the text. Very simple!

• Level 5*

Hardly a hijack, more pointing out (as has been done many many times before on here) what the Evernote people have said about security.

They provide the ability to encrypt the text in a note - everything else is currently down to you as a user. In my view, if you don't like it, or it doesn't satisfy your needs then the best bet is to look for another application that does.

I think these forums could really do with a FAQ, many of the same questions are repeated ad nauseum. I'm amazed by the patience of the Evernote people, BnF & Jefito and their willingness to continue posting the same answers again and again for people who can't or won't use the search box.

Archived