After updating, some of my notes disappeared

When I updated Evernote to the latest version, the UI changed drastically and all of my original saved notes (probably only those that were not synced) disappeared, starting with about 10 new ones. If the data remains locally, I would like to restore it. Is there a way to do this?

I would be fine with a way to revert Evernote to the previous version.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's no safe way to revert to a previous version,  and Evernote syncs all notes to the cloud unless you previously had a Legacy version with local notebooks - a feature which is no longer supported.  What device and operating system do you have?  And do you recall what number your previous version of Evernote was?

Thank you for your reply.
I also checked the browser version of Evernote, and new notes were disappearing in the same way. Now that I think about it, the disappeared notebooks were marked as having failed to sync.
I'm using a laptop with Windows 11 as my OS. I don't remember the previous version, but I don't think it's been updated for over 4 years.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Check your system to see whether you have any .EXB files saved anywhere - check your Recycle Bin too.   All your notes,  including the unsynced ones,  should be included in those database files.  Extracting the information may be a little complicated though...

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - here's the process...

If you don't already have a Legacy app and file structure installed,  look for a copy of the installation file (v6.25.x) on your system,  or download it (which is NOT recommended) from a third party repository such as https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history/ 

Once the Legacy file structure is in place

🔹Select: Evernote > Options>  Open Database folder

🔹Drag and drop your .exb file into the database folder.

🔹Close database folder window

🔹Select: Ctrl+Shift+E while viewing the login screen.

🔹Select your .exb file

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook (that has notes) within the account.  EDIT - you'll then be able to import those into the new version or upload them to another client.

(adapted from a 2016 fix described in the Evernote Forums) -

The EXB file format is a modified MySQL database.  Suitable file viewers and database managers will also help rescue data if ncecessary.

Since there was no installation file on the system, I tried to download and log in Evernote_6.25.1.9091.exe from a third-party repository, but I was unable to connect because I got the message "Cannot connect to server. Please try later."

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  The Legacy servers no longer exist and login has changed recently which may have prevented this working.  I can only suggest trying again with your network disconnected - you're not trying to login here,  just use an undocumented process from the startup routine.  If that fails though you'll have to contact Evernote - use https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true and look for 'submit a request' on the top right or at the bottom of most screens.

Even when I opened Evernote 6.25 while disconnected from the network, the same error message still appeared.
I have submitted a request 5 days ago and received the following automatic reply email. I have not received a reply from Evernote yet.

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. This email address is not the designed channel for submitting new support requests. If you seek support, you are welcome to visit ou Help Center or get assistance from other Evernote users in our discussion forums. If you are experiencing issues in accessing your account, you can submit a support request by clicking here. Please note that we won't be following up on your inquiry in this thread.  Best regards, The Evernote team

• Level 5

The legacy client can’t authenticate access without the server, and so it stops.

There was a sort of registry hack posted in this forum maybe in May or June this year, to make the client believe it’s already logged in,

Maybe you search for it, and follow the advise.

I searched but couldn't find a solution using a "registry hack". For example, where is it located?
I also found a solution using a VPN, but I don't think that will solve the problem.