Personal plan paid yearly through Itunes

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I am a longtime customer (probably 10 years+) who has been subscribed through the Apple store.  

I do use Evernote, although I'm not a heavy user.  One of the long term issues for me, is that as a software engineer, I often take notes with code snippets, and until very recently, support for something as simple as color syntax highlighting did not exist.  I could likely do more with evernote, but for the most part I use it to make work notes, and for that, considering that I often find these notes by things like ticket# it works fine.  The primary value I've gotten out of it is having it on a few different computers I use (portability) and my android phone (although I may switch back to an Iphone soon), and Evernote has done an admirable job with synchronization and support for these platforms, which is no small task.

With that said, I recently got the notification of the huge price increase, and for me, and for what I get out of Evernote, that is a bridge too far. 

I immediately cancelled through the apple app store.  My yearly subscription will end in August, and I have a few questions:

• When my account reverts what will happen to all my notebooks and notes?  I also have seen complaints from people on the free plans that the device limitation can cause problems, and in this case, as I said I've been using multiple computers and a phone.
  • If for whatever reason I decide to re-subscribe I will not do it through the Apple store again, so is there a way for Evernote to unlock/disassociate my account from the Apple Store/Itunes or whatever that association is?  

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Gview said:

I've been using multiple computers and a phone.

If you limit your access to the web client you'll have access via a browser on any device.

13 hours ago, Gview said:

is there a way for Evernote to unlock/disassociate my account from the Apple Store/Itunes

No need.  If you decide to re-subscribe,  log into your account and choose your own payment method.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/200001917-Billing-Subscriptions-and-Payments

• Level 5
  • Solution

If the subscription was held through the AppStore, let it expire. You said you already canceled it.

Your account will drop to Free at the date it runs out, and the subscription in iTunes is stopped. You can still see it in your iTunes account as an expired subscription.

You can subscribe again any time, either directly or through the AppStore. Until then your account will be restricted following the Free plans rule.

Hint: Make sure to remove all devices but 1 or 2 BEFORE the subscription expires. There is an unsync per 30 days limit as well that could effectively stop you using your account for quite a while.

Thank you for the helpful information.

The account limitation lock, is a terrible implementation of a bad idea.  Any other product I've ever used that has this type of limit lets you see the devices they have listed, and remove them individually to get in compliance.  I do appreciate the forewarning. 

• Level 5

The unsync limit was implemented in 2020 because Free users were circumventing the device limit by frequently unsubscribing devices to allow swapping them.

These users abused the trust of the company, and led to that measure. I think they should have dumped the Free plan altogether. They should have allowed a time frame to try the Personal plan before payment instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello togehther,

I also did it on iTunes.

One question about that: In the iTunes it is called: "Evernote personal" and "Evernote plus". Is "plus" the same as"professional" if I want to upgrade my account?

Thank you in advance

• Level 5

iTunes is still holding old plan designations, because it was for a long time possible to renew these grandfathered plans for existing subscribers.

It should not be possible to subscribe to plans that don't reflect the current subscriptions. Those are called Personal, Professional or Teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

thank you.

Then I have another question about that. I have now canceled my plan from Evernote in iTunes, which expires in mid-September.

Can I then simply upgrade from Personal to Professional through my Evernote account? Or is there anything else to consider?

Or is it in the end easier to keep my account in iTunes? My plan is to upgrade from personal to professional.

I use Evernote since 2011 and since then I always did it in iTunes

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, VinnieJones said:

And all my tasks calender events etc. are still there?

All your content is still preserved for upgrades or export.