Table column width - control? Mac 10.94.3

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have a table of 2 columns and multiple rows. I was happily adding and editing content - but when I returned to the note the 1st column has expanded to such an extent that no matter how far I scroll to the right - I cannot get to the right edge/border of the first column to drag it back.

I have tried note width/optimise readability and note width/fit to window - but that doesn't fix the problem over over-wide column. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this please? 

• Alexandra Gillies changed the title to Table column width - control? Mac 10.94.3
  • Level 5*

Ouch.  That's clearly not expected behaviour,  and not a situation I've seen before.

You could try inserting a new column to the left of the super-wide one.  Your table may or may not add a column of the same width - if so,  just 'undo' out of the addition.  If you get a more controllable size,  click the drop-down menu in the top right of any cell and use 'set to' note width or window width.

If that doesn't work,  try exporting the note to an ENEX file and then re-import it as a copy of the original - that process may fix any small errors in its structure.

Final bid - copy the whole table into a spreadsheet via 'select all'.  Fix the column widths in the spreadsheet and then copy/ paste back into a new note.

Good luck!

Thankyou @gazumped for your suggestions. To your points:

(1) Try inserting a new column to the left => I did that and it inserted a 'normal' size column - but with same super wide column to right.

(2) If you get a more controllable size => I can't the super wide one has remained super wide no matter what I do - so I cannot get to the drop-down menu in top right of cell - no matter how far I scroll.

(3) Try exporting to an ENEX and re-import => that didn't work it re-imported it as is i.e. with the super wide column that I cannot work with

(4) Final bid - copy the whole table into a spreadsheet via a 'select all' => I did that and I can see my 1st and 2nd columns - but it is a really messy export.  It is quite a complex table I have been working on where I have multiple lines in the cells and sketches in some of the cells. So that copy into excel doesn't do the multi lines into one cell - each line in an Evernote cell gets a new row in excel and the sketches haven't carried over.

(5) The only solution looks like a hybrid approach =>

To copy the text cell by cell from the super wide column into a new note/table.  I have made a start on that and if I select the text only - not the whole cell it copies over ok to a new table. 

Then the 2nd column (the one I can no longer reach because of the super wide 1st column) I will copy and paste in from the Excel paste from (4).

It will take me hours - but it looks like the only way :(

A nasty bug for sure & I have no idea what caused it!!  

• Level 5*
  • Solution
1 hour ago, Alexandra Gillies said:

I cannot get to the drop-down menu in top right of cell - no matter how far I scroll.

Sorry if I wasn't clear,  or if I misunderstood your comment,  but the purpose of the new column is to give you a dropdown menu that you can reach easily.  Look for it in the top right corner of the new narrow column.  If you choose 'fit to width' it should contract the super-wide column too.

But you mention...

1 hour ago, Alexandra Gillies said:

multiple lines in the cells and sketches in some of the cells

This really sounds like an extreme use of Evernote's current level of table structure.  It's likely that the size of one or more of these elements is what blew out the column width - and it's not a 'bug' if the software is simply not designed for the use to which it's being put.

Since your note contains important information I'd suggest you copy the current wide version and work on a duplicate note,  and of you haven't already done so I'd suggest raising this issue with Support - there are links in the top right and at the very bottom of this page:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053945033-Edit-a-table

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Open in a mobile client.

Tap into the table. From the Tabs over the soft keyboard, choose the "Table" tab.

Tap on the 3 dots. If necessary scroll down the menu a little. Choose "Adapt to note width".

The table will be resized.

Done.

• Like 1