What stack is my notebook in?

I love stacks. I have many. They help my organization of my dozens of notebooks.   But when I am looking in a notebook (I arrived there by searching for a note) I often what to know what stack it is in so I can find it later.  How do I learn what stack my notebook is in?  In the attached picture  I am in the "AANA24 Budget" note inside the the "AANA24 - San Diego" notebook. But I really want to know what Stack this is in

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 6.16.44 AM.png

• Level 5*
On 7/5/2024 at 11:17 AM, AirwayOnDemand said:

I often what to know what stack it is in so I can find it later.

Hi. You should be able to see what notebook a note is in from the note itself,  and if you go to the notebooks tab and search for that notebook,  you should be able to see what Stack it is nested under,  but - why do you need to know what stack the note is in to find it later? 

You could apply a tag, drag the note into the shortcuts area,  search for one or more keywords,  or simply copy the note into a temporary work-in-progress notebook to keep it close by.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. This helps.  I didn't realize that if you go to the Notebooks tab, the stacks are listed. 

As far as your question as to why.  I think my original reason is that I have a couple of hundred notebooks and 1000 notes, some are on very similar topics, and they tend to wind up in random places (I may have quickly made a note and forgotten where I put it). For the sake of organization and consolidation, it is nice to know what stack my items are in.  

I will try your ideas, though

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For the sake of consolidation, I would reduce the notebook count drastically, and use tags to group notes.

One of the main reason why notebook based organization always get's out of hand is that one note can only be in one single notebook at any time. Take an invoice you still need to pay, then process with your tax declaration and check at the year end for a yearly bonus from the supplier.

If you try this with notebooks, you will only be moving the note around, never knowing where it may be. With tags, it's easy.

Just add Open, Tax and Bonus to the note, and you can easily process it all, without ever moving the note.

• Like 1