(Archived) PDFs not searchable?

You can search for text within PDFs on the Mac and the Web. We intend to add PDF text searching to Windows in the near future.

Thanks

Interesting...I am using the Mac Beta version Version 1.1.0a (29521) and have tried to search pdf's both locally on the Mac and also on the Web, but with no success.

Is this feature specific to a different Beta version on the Mac?

Are you searching for a PDF based on text, or are you looking at a PDF based on images? I.e. can you select text within the PDF, or is it only graphical images?

If you can select text within the PDF, you should be able to search for it. If not, that would be a bug.

Sorry, not sure I follow!

The pdf is of a text document created using the OS X 'print to pdf' capability.

Yes, I can select text within the pdf, and if I type known text in the search box...nothing. However, given I can select text in the pdf, I thought I would try to copy/paste into the search box. This did yield results, although they were not correct. Also the text pasted in the search box was not displayed correctly.

Hope this helps.

I put a PDF into Evernote on OS X, and then I searched for the word "spline" in the search box in the top-right, and it found this note. When I select the note, the word "spline" is highlighted in the text.

Is this what you're trying? Has anyone else seen problems with PDF searching on the Mac?

Thanks

post-8171-131906062031_thumb.png

I put a PDF into Evernote on OS X, and then I searched for the word "spline" in the search box in the top-right, and it found this note. When I select the note, the word "spline" is highlighted in the text.

Is this what you're trying? Has anyone else seen problems with PDF searching on the Mac?

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly what I am doing but the search is not finding anything.

OK a quick update. I have added other PDFs to Evernote and found that the search works on some PDF's but not others!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly what I am doing but the search is not finding anything.

OK a quick update. I have added other PDFs to Evernote and found that the search works on some PDF's but not others!

Hope this helps, I was having the same problem with evernote mac searching within some pdfs and not others...on my system, i figured it out...my scanner software can create "searchable pdfs", but it takes a couple of seconds or minutes to do that (windows). If i paste a searchable pdf into evernote for windows, it is then searchable on evernote for mac...I guess it's whether the pdf is saved as an image or if OCR'ed into a text file...

Interesting. Does EN3 only search the text of the PDF or does it use the EN3 OCR to also search images within PDFs? Just curious...

Currently, we extract the text content of PDFs when we index them (not images within PDFs).

• 3 months later...
Currently, we extract the text content of PDFs when we index them (not images within PDFs).

I found this thread via search. I remember well the Evernote introductory movie, in which Evernote found the word "Ninja" within an image. I never needed this functionality until today, and I assumed it would work on a PDF.

The PDF I imported is a scan of a multi-page credit-card statement, so I'm pretty sure it's comprised of scanned images, not indexed text. But I need to find certain words within the document, so I thought of Evernote -- and that spiffy intro movie -- but it's not working.

Since Evernote clearly is capable of locating text within images, why does it exclude images within PDFs?

Unfortunately, PDF files don't contain just one type of image, but rather a wide variety, including some image types that are of an older/historic variety. We've done some testing towards this, but our first efforts hit problems with a number of PDFs, so it will be a longer project for us to do this right. It's definitely something we'd like to add, however.

Unfortunately, PDF files don't contain just one type of image, but rather a wide variety, including some image types that are of an older/historic variety. We've done some testing towards this, but our first efforts hit problems with a number of PDFs, so it will be a longer project for us to do this right. It's definitely something we'd like to add, however.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to this added functionality.

Archived