Update to MacOs Evernote resulted in Note content being lost

Go to solution Solved by WarrenTag,

Hi, I updated Evernote and it turns out that it hasn't synced anything I have done on the one note that I write to, in the last year.

Is there any way I can recover this please.

• Level 5*

Hi.  How do you know that Evernote hasn't synced?  If that is the case,  your note data was never sent to Evernote,  so they'll be unable to help.  The note was presumably kept in temporary memory on your 'phone - but over a year it should have synced at least once...

This is on MacOs, not a phone. I know it hasn't synced because the content I have added over the last year has disappeared upon updating Evernote. 

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, WarrenTag said:

This is on MacOs, not a phone. I know it hasn't synced because the content I have added over the last year has disappeared upon updating Evernote. 

Ah.  We're in an iOS forum hence my confusion.  When exactly did the update happen?  Were you logged out of your account and then logged back in?  Is it possible you accidentally created a new account instead of logging into the old one?

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/28483020689555-All-notes-disappeared

Should I repost it on a different forum?

I updated Evernote manually for the first time in a long time. I wasn't logged out, I am on the same account, I see the same note that I always write to, only it has lost the changes I made in the last year. 

• Solution

Okay I actually managed to fix it. I searched for "Evernote" within my Mac and I found an Evernote application in my Trash, so I restored it to my Documents folder and opened it - there are my notes. 

Hopefully someone will get some value from this answer. I'm not sure I'll be trusting Evernote again. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, WarrenTag said:

I'm not sure I'll be trusting Evernote again.

"Somehow" Evernote wound up in your trash - and that's Evernote's fault?

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, WarrenTag said:

Okay I actually managed to fix it. I searched for "Evernote" within my Mac and I found an Evernote application in my Trash, so I restored it to my Documents folder and opened it - there are my notes. 

Hopefully someone will get some value from this answer. I'm not sure I'll be trusting Evernote again. 

The answer doesn't answer anything. After installing it is standard procedure to eject and toss the installer file (Macs install from ISO files called a DMG, file type Image) into the trash. So yes, there will be an object called Evernote-something in the trash after installing.

Or to uninstall an application a user can pull an app into the thrash - which leads to uninstalling the app. We know that the regular uninstall will not remove the app data, for this a special uninstaller like AppCleaner is needed.

In both cases the object in the trash results from a user action. So I am sure you shouldn't trust who is sitting 60cm away from your computers monitor. But that's not really ground breaking news, I assume. It is a basic rule of computing that this is the place where most mistakes happen.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

As I mentioned already, I updated Evernote. From within Evernote itself, not from a DMG. This lead to the application being moved to the trash, and a new one took its place instead. From a user perspective, this is seamless and you don't realise that it is actually installing a new application instead of replacing the existing one. So, there's still hope to recover the old notes which Evernote for whatever reason never ended up synchronising with the web server. 

So no, nothing to do with the user who is 60cm away from the computer screen who is also, by the way, a software engineer. 

Most likely someone will end up in the same situation as me, and I was able to solve it. 

Thanks so much for your valuable input. 

• Like 1