Please add a setting to remove Task and Event buttons and sidebar links

Idea

10 replies to this idea

Yeah... the visual priority they went with is rather pompous. I'm glad they're excited about their task and event features, but honestly, I would bet money the vast majority of their users do not use or care for those features -> why are they forcing them in their face. Really poor sloppy UX design if you ask me. Not impressed. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, coldcoast said:

'm glad they're excited about their task and event features, but honestly, I would bet money the vast majority of their users do not use or care for those features -> why are they forcing them in their face. Really poor sloppy UX design if you ask me. Not impressed. 

You may not be personally impressed but they do an awful lot of user research, interviews, live testing and other stuff that says the majority of folk do like these things. In fact the Evernote standalone calendar was driven by user research and comments.

For me, the tasks page is open all day everyday on its own monitor so very useful.

• Like 2
On 5/11/2024 at 2:39 PM, sssbbb1231231 said:

I have been using evernote for 10+ years - just for notes. I do not need nor will I ever need or want it for tasks and calendar.

Every time I see the big blaring color "Task" and "Event" buttons (plus tasks and calendar shortcuts) taking up valuable real estate on the left sidebar  it's a reminder how annoying the new UX is: can't get rid of bloat I don't want to see. 

For the many users who don't want one or the other or both of these features -- can you *please* add a setting to hide those buttons and links from the left sidebar

Amen! I came to the discussion today for this very reason, to see if there's a way to hide the Task and Event buttons that are taking up valuable screen real estate. Thanks also to gazumped for the feedback@evernote.com address. I'll send some feedback. I don't mind that the Tasks and Calendar features were added for those that use them, but I, too, only use EverNote for notes (since 2011) and need an option to hide those two buttons. 

• Like 3
On 5/16/2024 at 3:06 AM, Jon/t said:

You may not be personally impressed but they do an awful lot of user research, interviews, live testing and other stuff that says the majority of folk do like these things. In fact the Evernote standalone calendar was driven by user research and comments.

For me, the tasks page is open all day everyday on its own monitor so very useful.

I think the point is it's presumptive to assume that we all want this feature Jon/t, and it wouldn't be difficult at all for Evernote to allow an option to remove those buttons - and the very least not to make them so huge, in bold colours, taking up valuable real estate in the sidebar. Like so many other users, I very annoyed that these buttons very prominent buttons have been forced upon users - as are so many of the recent features many of us don't care to use; clogging up the CPU and ultimately meaning it now takes me at least 15 seconds to create a new note - a "task" that used to take less than a second. 

Please Evernote at least allow us the option to tailor this software to our needs. Surely not too much to ask considering the recent large increase in subscription costs (by a 2.5 times multiple in Australia). 

• Like 4
On 5/12/2024 at 4:39 AM, sssbbb1231231 said:

Every time I see the big blaring color "Task" and "Event" buttons (plus tasks and calendar shortcuts) taking up valuable real estate on the left sidebar  it's a reminder how annoying the new UX is: can't get rid of bloat I don't want to see.

Also came here specifically for this, as a user for 10+ years. Also use just for notes. Mainly in Windows app.

I'm ok with Evernote adding various new capabilities, but the User interface in the Windows app, esp the Sidebar since the big change, has always been clunky. It seems to be designed by people who don't actually use the product. Instead of giving priority & being able to see the actual content notebook/note titles & navigation, the Sidebar is now more than half taken up with rows of superfluous oversized admin stuff, search, buttons, Help that could all be put on small buttons & pull-down menus LIKE IT USED TO BE ON THE OLD INTERFACE, & take up a fraction of the space.

Being able to organise content in a structured way & find it easily is the core of Evernote. The current layout for the Sidebar puts the access points to this content into only about a third of the Sidebar space.

Why?

• Like 2

Now 6 supporters (I wasn't aware of the need to vote on the issue, so thanks for the heads up, gazumped :) ). And I would consider this issue not a beautification, but undoing an ugly-fication. Still, I agree that bug fixes are more important.

• Like 1