MacOS 10.15, evernote 10.85 (Mac Pro 2014)

I have noticed that while loading notes with images content in it, my system heats up a lot. On the other hand for mainly text notes, it heats up but not to a great extent. With legacy these things didn't occur. So is it just a old system thing requiring update or can anything be done ?

• Level 5

Yeah, 10 years old, and the base spec. Only CPU-based graphics. Still good for the software from back then, but probably struggling with modern software.

The installed EN client is based on Chrome(ium), the Google browser. To say it in simple terms, it is a resources hog.

I don’t think there is much to do about it. Some hints: Clean the ventilation system. You can use a vacuum cleaner, or compressed air to suck or blow out the dirt that collects on the fans and in the air ducts. If you use a case, remove it. It will reduce heat dissipation . There are stands for laptops that will keep it above a surface and allow air to flow all around.

An alternative may be to use the web client.

Its not cooking at the moment, but explains the slowness of V10 on it. Time for a much delayed upgrade. I had bare minimum work on this so things were going well. 

I guess an upgrade to M2 should work fine. 

Just now, xerox said:

Its not cooking at the moment, but explains the slowness of V10 on it. Time for a much delayed upgrade. I had bare minimum work on this so things were going well. 

I guess an upgrade to M2 should work fine. 

The new Snapdragon X Elite laptops coming out soon are supposed to be great as well fyi.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

We are talking a Mac upgrade here. Why would anybody want to downgrade to a Windows on ARM system not even yet available.

@xerox currently there are 2 strategies: Get a M2, maybe refurb, and save a buck. Or get a M3, where not much refurb is available yet, and will cost some more, but has the latest technology. The main difference between the two is that the M3 supports hardware raytracing in the GPU. If you expect to need the extra performance (like for future Mac Tripple-A games), go for a M3. Else the M2 is as good as it gets.

My main mobile solution is a MacBook Pro 14“ M2 Max 32/1TB. It’s a beast hiding in a sleek 14“ form factor.

• Like 1

Will weigh these options, thanks FOLKS !! 

Going to windows will be a hassle as haven't used them in a long time. 

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We are talking a Mac upgrade here. Why would anybody want to downgrade to a Windows on ARM system not even yet available.

@xerox currently there are 2 strategies: Get a M2, maybe refurb, and save a buck. Or get a M3, where not much refurb is available yet, and will cost some more, but has the latest technology. The main difference between the two is that the M3 supports hardware raytracing in the GPU. If you expect to need the extra performance (like for future Mac Tripple-A games), go for a M3. Else the M2 is as good as it gets.

My main mobile solution is a MacBook Pro 14“ M2 Max 32/1TB. It’s a beast hiding in a sleek 14“ form factor.

Windows isn't a downgrade, there are a variety of systems to choose from. If I were to build a custom PC I wouldn't be running macOS on it (at least not for much longer as Hackintoshes are getting harder and harder to build).

Windows on ARM is set to take off in just a few months. I was simply making OP aware.

The Surface Laptop 6 for consumers is expected to be announced in May with Snapdragon X Elite chipsets, it's highly anticipated and should be a really high quality device.

• Level 5

Currently no devices running these chips are available on the market or for benchmarks. There were only a few showpieces demonstrated under controlled conditions. Up to now Qualcom has botched all attempts at PC grade hardware.

Maybe now after "stealing" a bunch of ex Apple engineers they will do better ...

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Currently no devices running these chips are available on the market or for benchmarks. There were only a few showpieces demonstrated under controlled conditions. Up to now Qualcom has botched all attempts at PC grade hardware.

Maybe now after "stealing" a bunch of ex Apple engineers they will do better ...

There are benchmarks out there, see this article from Macrumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/12/18/qualcomm-snapdragon-x-elite-faster-apple/

Everyone poaches engineers. Apple "stole" a bunch of Tesla engineers and then couldn't even build a car after years of development.