Evernote has become hostile for designers

Another one here forced to update from legacy. Years ago they removed the "Open with..." menu option when right-clicking an image inside a note, and that was what made me go with legacy as such option is a very basic one when you use Evernote as a tool for visual content, ux, inspiration, photography, moodboard, etc... because 99% of my content are plain notes with a single image.

So I tried to be open minded about it this time and I was ready to go out of my comfort zone and "relearning" how to use again one of my main work tools. The thing is that the new thumbnail preview size make useless that good intentions for me (and every visual content user, I assume). I don't know what the ux/product team tried to achieve when changing thumbnails to that ridiculous size, but a couple of things are very clear for me:

1. They don't have visual content users on mind.
2. No ui/ux designer, visual designer, art director, etc... working at Evernote atm, use their own product for design repo, inspiration, etc... purposes.

(Left Legacy, Right v10)

image.jpeg.c9e838e13eccb6838e332576ff598db6.jpeg.        image.jpeg.fcab3aab214e610e8435da2c5569ec9b.jpeg

So what's the thing here? Has Evernote surrender to Pinterest, Notion, Muzli, Savee and Eagle on visual content and drop off on designers?

As my company has been centralizing for years around Notion and is my other non-design main tool, I've been testing it since Monday as a replacement for Evernote and so far I'm stunned at how they managed visual content:

image.thumb.jpeg.a0bfbc4a03a8b1de0c3b5af7681411be.jpeg

I will keep an eye on Evernote time to time as it will take me weeks if not months to import all my notebook structure into Notion (25k notes) but reading all the latest comments here about the team being small/slow on implementing updates and feedback when not directly ignoring very common sense issues and requests, it gives me almost zero hopes about they addressing this.

What a way to sink a Top 1 product a decade ago...

user.jpg

notes.png

• Like 5
  • Level 5

EN is a note taking tool. You can keep all sort of content, but it is not a hub to control other apps.

For me it works to drag & drop any visual content from a note into another app (like Affinity Publisher). 

If you need to control a lot of visual content, a database that can be configured for this use case is a better decision. EN is not in that market, and even in the past it was not meant to be a primary tool for that use case. Want proof of this ? Easy enough, the discussion about NOT being able to select the thumbnail is way older than even the current legacy client generation.

That you tell you had only one picture in each note speaks for itself !

Want more proof ? Pictures could be annotated, but they could not be changed like resized, file type altered, EXIF edited and so on. Tags were not added to the picture, they were added to a note holding the picture. The list is endless when comparing to a true picture library.

You may find that v10 suits your needs even less than legacy. Then it's time to say goodbye.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DanielM said:

all the latest comments here about the team being small/slow on implementing updates

I agree with your overall comment and hope to see improvements there as well but I dunno about this one part. There was a big learning curve for the new team to handle and a lot of legacy debt for them to tackle and they were working through all of that and now seem to be getting their feet under them and are doing a lot of things fast now. Just off the top of my head in the last couple of months: UI revamp, collapsible headers and lists, big AI Edit improvements, slash commands, (finally) allowing for center and right alignment of an image, Outlook calendar integration, mobile home change/testing. I'm probably missing some.

So again - yes - hopefully we see some improvements there for the things you touched on.

25 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I agree with your overall comment and hope to see improvements there as well but I dunno about this one part. There was a big learning curve for the new team to handle and a lot of legacy debt for them to tackle and they were working through all of that and now seem to be getting their feet under them and are doing a lot of things fast now. Just off the top of my head in the last couple of months: UI revamp, collapsible headers and lists, big AI Edit improvements, slash commands, (finally) allowing for center and right alignment of an image, Outlook calendar integration, mobile home change/testing. I'm probably missing some.

So again - yes - hopefully we see some improvements there for the things you touched on.

Hopefully they continue to optimize the Electron clients as well. Since last summer the clients on both desktop and mobile have gotten much faster but still have a ways to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1