Good old legacy features missing: Copy tags from one note to another (Assign tags)

pferenc

Idea

I'm in the process of switching from the old Evernote Legacy app to the new Evernote Desktop app.
There are a few missing features that I loved in the old app.
This is one of them.

Copy tags from one note to another (Assign tags)

In the old evernote legacy app, the "Assign tags" function (Ctrl-Alt-T) made it very easy:

• to see the tags of multiple selected notes
  • and to copy the tags from one not to another or to a bunch of other notes

image.png.4a384e3863ed2ce1876b30bc95ce6a00.png

In the new Evernote Desktop app a similar function exists (same shortcut Ctrl-Alt-T), but it shows all existing tags, not only the ones that are relevant to the selected notes.

image.thumb.png.711fcc11ed46126bf6c47526d23829ee.png

This makes it very difficult to do what I used to do in the old legacy app very often:

• select two or more notes
  • make sure they all have the same tags

4 replies to this idea

You can still do this in V10 but in the new UI it is less obvious. The process is

• click the first tag in the list of tags at the bottom of the note - you will not see anything happen!
  • then shift click the last tag - again you won't see anything happen
  • Press ctrl+C - this adds a comma separated list of tags to teh clipboard
  • Go to the new note, click into the tags area and press ctrl+V to paste the tags into the new note

This used to be much better in the old UI of V10 where clicking a tag obviously slected it with a blue border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

You can still do this in V10 but in the new UI it is less obvious. The process is

• click the first tag in the list of tags at the bottom of the note - you will not see anything happen!
  • then shift click the last tag - again you won't see anything happen
  • Press ctrl+C - this adds a comma separated list of tags to teh clipboard
  • Go to the new note, click into the tags area and press ctrl+V to paste the tags into the new note

This used to be much better in the old UI of V10 where clicking a tag obviously slected it with a blue border.

thank you for your suggestion.

i tried it, it indeed works, against the lack of visual feedback of selecting multiple tags

but this is not a real equivalent to the legacy "Assign tags..." popup where i could easily unify the tags for multiple notes at once.

3 minutes ago, pferenc said:

but this is not a real equivalent to the legacy "Assign tags..." popup where i could easily unify the tags for multiple notes at once.

Valid point but we are just other users here so we can only point out the best workarounds we have found

In the edit tags window that you get when you select multiple notes (as shown in your screen shot) the common tags are listed as "lozenges" - "sent" in your case

If you were to manually open all of the nested tags you would find the tags that are not common marked with a blue dash and those that are common  marked with a blue tick

image.png.889b3d3daf1ff761229990bf562bdb81.png

Adding the option to show without hierarchy (so you could scan through) and most importantly to show only selecterd tags I agree would be very useful.

In the mean time the best solution at the moment is probably copying the tags fom one not to another

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pferenc said:

this is not a real equivalent to the legacy "Assign tags..." popup where i could easily unify the tags for multiple notes at once.

This can be improved on.  It is helpful to send feedback to feedback@evernote.com.  Don’t just say it was better in Legacy.  Explaining why may get the issue more attention.