Filter and search don't work together

Adding Tags Via Filter then search dose not work.

If I add a Tag Filter then add a Tag via the Search suggestions. it Tells me I have 2 filters added in the search drop down, but the Tag added Via search dose not show up in the filters list and notes are not flited with the tag added via search.

But it seems that if you just adding tags Via search only it works OK but you can not search all tags. so my feature request still stands  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jon lowbank said:

Adding Tags Via Filter then search dose not work.

This is one of my major pain points in V10. It didn't use to work like this in V10, so it was either a deliberate change or an unintended consequence - who knows. I have raised this as a support ticket (Oct 2023 version 10.63.3!) but no substantive response - but at least they didn't dismiss it out of hand.

If you are just using tags, then you can of course use the filter menu - alt+F2 significantly speeds this process up. But the behaviour also effects any search after you've filtered. And why suggest tags in the search if you can't add them?

My workaround is to use the advanced search syntax and an autohotkey script. The script takes any tag from the sidebar and adds it to the search menu in the

tag:name_of_tag

format. I can  then add further tags, text etc with no problem, completely bypassing the filter. Don't forget that every item in the evil filter menu can be replicated with advanced search syntax!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

autohotkey script.

Hi mike this sounds like a good Idea.... found your post.... but I have 600 tags and don't know exact spelling (names etc.)  so searching for them is best for me, the "evil filter menu" does do this but just works badly with a search.  If we had a dedicated Tag section in the search suggestions, things would be sweet.

42 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

If we had a dedicated Tag section in the search suggestions, things would be sweet.

That doesn't solve the root problem of not being able to add anything to search after filtering.

44 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

so searching for them is best for me

The script also works from the main tag pop out window which does have a search.

Fundamentally though the main search needs to reliably find tags and add them to the filtered list or if they don't want search to work in that way stop making it look as though it should. The philosophy of "you search for something then you filter down the results to what you want" will no doubt suit many people but you should be able to say "I know it will be tagged with "Home" and then I'll search for some words likely to be in the note".

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I opened a case 2 weeks ago on what I believe is the same core issue.  I am a paid subscriber and 2 weeks later, I get a response on my case, asking me to ensure I am on the latest version, and see if I am still having the same issue.  Really?  (I know!! ....)

In any case, my scenario is that I will often start my search by first filtering all notes that match a specific tag (I have LOTS of them so the AHK script suggested is not as convenient for me either).   In my example, when I do this and select a tag,  the Search Results window to the right shows all notes that match that tag - there are 29 of them.   So far so good right?  NOT.. if I then enter search criteria in the Search box to the left and press enter, the Search Results refreshes but still shows the SAME 29 notes.  Crazy!  and I know that all 29 of my notes with this tag do NOT match the search criteria.   I am running the latest EN Win desktop, and same behavior occurs on EN Web.

• Like 1

@Steve2014 Your process is exactly the same as mine. See my description here:

My support ticket for this was raised on Oct 10, 2023 (10.63.3!!) and still no meaningful response.

2 hours ago, Steve2014 said:

(I have LOTS of them so the AHK script suggested is not as convenient for me either

Don't really understand this comment. My AHK script (see further down the post above) chooses any tag from the sidebar and puts tag:tagName into the search bar. So instead of hovering over a tag and clicking it to use the filter you hover over the tag and run the ahk script.

@gazumped  The support ticket number is  #3764929 incase you can work any magic! 

@Jon lowbank @Steve2014  Just a quick update on this issue. If you add the initial  tag by searching for it in the main search bar you can then search correctly. You need to make sure that the tag appears underneath the search bar

image.png.14ed976d86f3498686aa822bcacc4c78.png

If you add the tag in any other way (list below of ways I've tried) you don't get the tag incorporated into the search as shown in the screen shot. The main problem with this is that the main search is rubbish at finding tags!

Other ways I've tried

• Clicking a tag in the sidebar
  • clicking a tag in the main tags pop out window
  • using the filter 
  • Searching for the tag using ctrl+Q (which btw does an excellent job of searching for tags if you add characters from the beginning of the tag name )
  • Filtering by a tag from the tag list at the bottom of a note

Not really a great workaround but it helps me understand why very ocassionally it seemed to work for me - obviously the times I've added the tag this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another update. As noted above the trick to using search after filter is to ensure that the filter appears underneath the search bar. There is a trick that is working for me today (no saying it will work tomorrow!). If you do a force reload (ctrl+shift+R) the filter is added to the search and you can the search as normal. The only disdvantage of a reload is that it refreshes certain things you might not want refreshing. For me these are

• tag structure is collapsed
  • Any filters on tasks are removed
On 3/21/2024 at 5:39 PM, Mike P said:

Just a quick update on this issue. If you add the initial  tag by searching for it in the main search bar you can then search correctly. You need to make sure that the tag appears underneath the search bar

But tags only appear sometimes underneath the search bar in the Add Filter section.  This is why a dedicated Tag section under search that finds tags like in the  tag filter would fix all these problems.

Please upvote the feature request.

4 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

But tags only appear sometimes underneath the search bar in the Add Filter section. 

True. If I  know the name of the tag and persevere with typing it does eventually come up in the "add filter" section of the main search.

I don't really see that the issue is a separate section for tags. A separate section containing only one tag is not going to be any help either!

9 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

would fix all these problems.

I don't think it would. We should be able to add a filter in whichever way we choose. That should then be automatically added to the search as well as to the filter. This is what is supposed to happen, as evidenced by the fact that if you do a forced reload the tag appears under the search bar as explained above.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 9:19 PM, Mike P said:

True. If I  know the name of the tag and persevere with typing it does eventually come up in the "add filter" section of the main search.

I don't really see that the issue is a separate section for tags. A separate section containing only one tag is not going to be any help either!

I would just like the search box to work on tags as it does when searching for tags in the filter. That is any tag containing your search term comes up under search suggestions.  ( maybe five lines or a scroll box)

On 3/25/2024 at 9:19 PM, Mike P said:

That should then be automatically added to the search as well as to the filter. This is what is supposed to happen

I agree,  hence the title of this thread. "Filter and search don't work together"

• Like 1