When upgrading from Evernote v6.x to v10.x, the local database (.exb) from v6.x is not converted into a v10.x version.

Hi,
I recently upgraded from v6.x to v10.x , but found that the local v6.x database (.exb) was not converted to a v10.x version. This means that without an internet connection, the Desktop App cannot display the data content. I wonder if there is a tool available that can download the data already synced from v6.x to the Evernote server to the local folder of the Desktop App for use when offline to avoid ad-hoc download.

Note 1: Differences between v6.x and v10.x.
(1) v6.x directory: %USERPROFILE%\Evernote
(2) v10.x directory: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

Note 2: Two articles lacking screenshot explanations, so cannot get more clear information.
(1) https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning
(2) https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107-Convert-local-notebooks

Best Regards,

• Level 5

The legacy database will not be converted at all. A v10 install will download a fresh copy from the server. This takes a while - keep the client running in the background. Once the full download is done, v10 is capable of offline use.

If there were local (unsynced) notebooks, they should be saved as ENEX files, or synced in advance still using legacy.

ENEX exports of local notebooks can be imported into v10 after the initial install. They will then sync with the server. This (again) needs time. I would not do it while the initial download from the server is still ongoing.

If the local notebooks were synced in legacy, make sure the full upload is done. This can take time.

What is for sure: Legacy will be cut off the server on the 23rd of March. If you have a lot of local notebooks, I would first export each to a ENEX file (one file per notebook !). This is faster than uploading.

If you have a good internet connection, you can then try to upload them from legacy before the cut off date.

@PinkElephant
Thanks for your help.

As you mentioned, "ENEX exports of local notebooks can be imported into version 10 following the initial installation. They will subsequently synchronize with the server, which, once again, requires time. I would advise against doing this while the initial download from the server is in progress."

Following your advice, I attempted to import my exports from version 6.x. Although they could be written as the local copy for version 10.x, I noticed that the "Last Update Time" is updated to the current time (for example: March 4, 2024, 10:00). Additionally, I observed that these items would re-upload to the Evernote server, resulting in the loss of the original creation or update timestamps.

Is there a way to download all of my notebooks from the Evernote server directly into the local copies of version 10.x on my Windows 10 system?

Best Regards,

• Level 5

I have no own experience with either method. I never used local notebooks with legacy.

Imported notes are factually new notes. They get a new UUID, which is the unique note identifier. They keep some properties from the original notes, but they are NOT the original notes.

We could have an academic discussion about the updated date field. There is at least one other thread about it.

But there is no time left. Decide what to do, do it. Waiting til the last minute can cause a major disruption with your content.

If you want, you can keep the ENEX files stored. If the update date logic may have changed, you can always do another import.

To get anything changed, you should address it to support. They are dreadfully slow at the moment, and most tickets will not lead to a code change. So don’t wait for it !

14 hours ago, 傑士伯 said:

Is there a way to download all of my notebooks from the Evernote server directly into the local copies of version 10.x on my Windows 10 system?

Something you might try is in Desktop Evernote is to export each notebook to a ENEX file. It may force getting that notebook's notes to be locally cached.  Try a couple notebooks and see what you think.

@PinkElephant
Thanks a lot for your help.
It is true that importing ENEX file will cause the new GUID in v10 local cache copies, so it will resend to Evernote Server again.
I'll try to issue a ticket to Evernote support team.

@Dave Green
Thanks a lot for your information.
The importing ENEX file will cause the new GUID in v10 local cache copies, but it is not the result I want.

2 hours ago, 傑士伯 said:

The importing ENEX file will cause the new GUID in v10 local cache copies, but it is not the result I want.

To be clear, I was not suggesting importing the ENEX after creating it but just the fact that having created an ENEX with desktop Evernote would cause the notes to be downloaded into the local Evernote cache.

@PinkElephant, sorry to railroad this topic.

Where can I find a list (tasklist) of what steps are required to do to load v10 for Desktop Windows? Will v10 start the conversion of data by itself or am I to do something.

I think I have enough backups of v 6x.

Thanks.

• Level 5

You simply go to the EN website, click on the Download option and load the installer for your OS.

Execute it, as any installer, and it will install the v10 app on your computer.

The part what happens when it detects a legacy install is sort of shady for me - first I am Mac only, second I have uninstalled legacy quite a while ago.

Apart from this, once installed open, and log in. It downloads your notes (without attachments) and metadata first, and builds the local database. This is relatively fast. Next it will download all attachments. That’s where usually the larger data volume is located. To allow this, the app must be open and running, can be in the background. 

While a note may not yet be downloaded, the data will be requested from the server, which makes it an online operation, taking more time. Every note needs to be converted to the RTE syncing structure. Opening it for the first time takes a little longer, maybe 3-4 seconds. Building the database and the conversion makes v10 feel slower initially. This will correct itself more or less later, when the initial jobs are done.

The data is pulled from the same database that hosts the legacy data as well - but the data format is not compatible. Every note that was synced from legacy to the server will be available and downloaded to v10. Unfortunately there is no syncing indicator. I watch the Task Manager to see when network traffic stops for Evernote.