📖 Evernote for Windows 10.77 doesn't support multiple dictionaries / languages for spell checking

Hi there!

How can I use multiple dictionaries for spell checking in Evernote?

I just upgraded (kicking and screaming) from "Evernote legacy" for Windows to the latest Windows version (10.77.3-win-ddl-public (20240221121132)). Unlike my last try to ditch legacy, this time it went smoothly and the new client seems to run better than the one I tried some months ago, but the new version is still lacking in many ways...

In "Evernote legacy" I could select multiple dictionaries for spell checking (e.g., I could spell check for English and Portuguese all at once). Since I write and have notes in a few languages, now I'm seeing a sea of red squiggles when I use Evernote, and I can't see how to add another another dictionary or even select the langue for spell checking in the latest Evernote for Windows.

In Tools > Settings > Preferences > Language, there is just a checkbox to enable "Check spelling while typing". 

In Help & Learning, the Check spelling in Evernote page just points to the option I mentioned above.

The only "progress" I made was to find in %APPDATA%\Evernote\Dictionaries the en-GB-oxendict-10-1.bdic file. I copied pt-BR-3-0.bdic from Google Chrome to the same folder, then changed the %APPDATA%\Evernote\Preferences file from

"spellcheck":{"dictionaries":["en-US","en","en-AU","en-CA","en-GB","en-GB-oxendict","en-US"],"dictionary":""}

to

"spellcheck":{"dictionaries":["en-US","en","en-AU","en-CA","en-GB","en-GB-oxendict","en-US", "pt-BR"],"dictionary":""}

After restarting Evernote, ... it was still not spell checking in Portuguese. 🤦🏼

Does anyone know if there is a solution or work around for this issue?

Thanks!

• Level 5

This question has been raised numerous times. I don't know if any satisfactory workarounds have been found, or any satisfactory explanations given, but search the forums and you'll find other discussions which may have more information.