Long-time fan of the green color scheme and elephant icon

I logged into Evernote web this morning and a lot of the colors in the interface had changed to a bluish-purple color. I've been a paid Evernote user for over 10 years for personal and professional use and have always loved the green color scheme. I'm incredibly bummed that Evernote didn't give their users a heads up that they were doing a rebrand. Even the beautiful, classic elephant icon from the loading screen has been replaced. This re-branding was not an improvement and I hope enough people agree that they roll it back.

It seems like a small thing, but when a company makes a change like this without a heads up, it makes me question whether I want to stick with them. In addition to reliable and user-friendly software functionality, the aesthetic of any interface that I am frequently working in throughout the day matters deeply to me.

• Like 4

It's true that there was a blog post about this, but in my opinion that post didn't really call out the departure from the green color in favor of the new blue/purple in particular. They showed some screens, but those show blue/purple and green highlights in fairly equal amounts … in actual use, though, so far, I feel that's inaccurate. For as long as I can remember, Evernote's personality in the UI had been white and shades of gray, and nearly all highlight color was green. Now in use, the highlight color is almost all the blue/purple; buttons, hyperlinks, checkboxes, note links. Combine that with the typeface changes, which I find very subjective (they claim better readability, I think that's negligible and not worth the interruption). I do appreciate some of the structural/architechtural changes that must have been a ton of work and have added speed and stability to syncing. But these aesthetic changes in my opinion are not improvements but instead are interruptions to a user base that as far as I know were not complaining or having problems with the visual UI.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Piacitelli said:

For as long as I can remember, Evernote's personality in the UI had been white and shades of gray, and nearly all highlight color was green.... I do appreciate some of the structural/architectural changes that must have been a ton of work and have added speed and stability to syncing. But these aesthetic changes in my opinion are not improvements but instead are interruptions to a user base that as far as I know were not complaining or having problems with the visual UI.

Thank you all for your responses! I found the UI thread after I posted this and I'm glad to see that Evernote did take the time to write a blog post about it prior to its release (even if I'm not a fan of the color palette, that addresses my concern about company communications around it).

I strongly agree with what Piacitelli expresses above. I was quite attached to the established visual "personality" of the UI and, up until the latest UI update, I felt that it had continuity over the years. That said, there is a lot that I continue to appreciate about Evernote's core functionality.

• Like 1