Add scrolling to code block

networkgroover

Idea

Hello!

When I'm taking notes on API/Python stuff, I will sometimes note the output I get.  It would be sweet if we could add a code block with a scroll bar so I can add multiple code blocks to a note but keep the note manageable from a scrolling perspective.

Thanks for your consideration!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The likely better approach would be to create notes with code blocks, one for each group of code. Then make a TOC table of content note linking them all together, and use the links and automatic backlinks to navigate between the notes.

You can get a code block with a horizontal scroll bar if you put the code block in a single cell table and widen the width of the cell to be greater than the longest line of code -- like this:

image.png.6e4309abc24068c0959eeb7a4022b50b.png

Edit: Also, word was that Bending Spoons was going to be adding syntax colored functionality, but I haven't heard anything on that for quite a while now.

+1 to this, this would be awesome. I usually end up using confluence (via my work account) for my coding notes instead of evernote as a result of this limitation.

@Boot17 your suggestion might work for scrolling horizontal, but I believe the desired use case here (or my desired use case in any event) is for vertical scrolling.

The closest thing I've come to a workaround is to place all my code block at the end of the note and label each with an h3 header and collapsing all such sections. Then, as I'm reading through my notes and need to reference the contents of a code block, I'll temporarily expand the corresponding section.