Read & Highlight mode

Mark Turner

Idea

Hi - I, like what I can only assume are many others, frequently use the Evernote Web Clipper to capture items I would like to read later.  Later, when I'm trying to scroll the article on my phone, I always have to bring up the text editor to highlight.  The text editor takes up a lot of screen real estate and I also often inadvertently modify the article whilst reading.

Feature request: a read & highlight mode that alllows exactly that: scrolling an article and highlighting certain areas using the traditional iphone select gestures. If you'd like to add something to the note, like a written summary, then you can enter the traditional editor.

Thank you!

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5

The treatment of web clips is working exactly this way:

Option 1: You read, but can't modify (not at all !)

Option 2: You convert the web clip (simplify), and then can edit it.

A web clip can't be edited "a little", it's simplified for editing, or it is preserved as clipped. You need to take a decision.

The technical reasoning behind it is pretty simple: The web clipper tries to preserve as much as possible the original website, minus the advertising. It needs to make sense of a complex structure of frames that are filled with content when the page is requested by the users browser. These are no more the static websites of old. This dynamic structure on clipping needs to be converted into a fixed version of what the user was watching and wants to preserve.

If you want to edit such a frozen complex website, the editor to do so would be highly complex as well. Because it needs to change the clip, but doing so in the original layout of the site. So EN has chosen to avoid this complexity: To edit, you first need to simplify. Simplifying takes away most of the formatting that makes the original site so complex.

You edit a plain looking reproduction of the site that is way easier to handle and to change.

I doubt this will be changed - but of course you can contact support about it.