Auto Creation of a Tag - a little nice feature

Maybe it's old news to many, but I just discovered if you have selected a tag in the navigation pane, and then create a new note, then the note automatically gets that tag added to it. 

Of course, you then need to still put it into a specific notebook, so its not per se a time saver...

What I really want to see is an option to have certain tags always added to a note depending on what notebook you create it in.  This is not a new idea, as I have seen it on the wish list for years...

6 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

Maybe it's old news to many, but I just discovered if you have selected a tag in the navigation pane, and then create a new note, then the note automatically gets that tag added to it. 

Also if you select more than one tag all the tags are added to the new notes.

6 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

Of course, you then need to still put it into a specific notebook, so its not per se a time saver...

What I really want to see is an option to have certain tags always added to a note depending on what notebook you create it in.

Do you really need all those notebooks? If every note going into a notebook has the same tag then you only need one or the other. I have one notebook for 99%% of my notes and I have created a hot key that automatically files any note into it.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

...and I do the reverse;  have templates for various classes of note which include the required tags as a comma delimited line - ie <tag1>,<tag2>,<tag3>.  Go to notebook,  create new note,  copy paste tags to the bottom field,  and type (or copy) title and content.  If there's a standard emoji or phrase for the title,  it can be the first line of your template and just a click away from insertion to the title.

• Like 2
Just now, gazumped said:

have templates for various classes of note which include the required tags as a comma delimited line - ie <tag1>,<tag2>,<tag3>. 

A nice way of getting around the problem that EN templates do not include tags. If you wanted to use templates, I suppose you could just put the comma separated list of tags in the body of the template and then simply copy them into the tags area when you use the template.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Mike P said:

A nice way of getting around the problem that EN templates do not include tags. If you wanted to use templates, I suppose you could just put the comma separated list of tags in the body of the template and then simply copy them into the tags area when you use the template.

Yes - sorry if I wasn't clear;  that's exactly the process.  The template includes both title format and tags which can be quickly inserted in the relative fields.  (Hmmn.  Maybe Evernote could revisit how Templates work at some stage - having that done automagically would  be awesome!  I feel a feedback coming on....)

• Like 1
On 1/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, Mike P said:

Also if you select more than one tag all the tags are added to the new notes.

Do you really need all those notebooks? If every note going into a notebook has the same tag then you only need one or the other. I have one notebook for 99%% of my notes and I have created a hot key that automatically files any note into it.

@Mike P The multi tag aspect is even double neat! 

Re the Notebooks... they are my security blanket... I also use MoC's (Map of Contents notes) at times...and have Pro just so I have boolean search... its clearly all overkill... sigh. 😉

• Like 1