Evernote on macOS starts lagging after a certain amount of words in a note, but works well on web. Please advise.

Hi!

Model: MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019, 16gb RAM, i7

EN: Evernote 10.68.3

current note: 23 MB - 14,669 words - 76,723 characters

Issue:

Whenever i reach a certain number of words on macOS it starts lagging. I type words and each character laggs in appearing on the screen. 

But if I open the same note on web browser there is no problem. I can even type in 50-70 000 words notes without a problem.

But on macOS app I have to keep splitting them.

I tried contacting Evernote but all they do is default me to Knowledge Base which is useless along with their chat bot.

AFAIK the whole code was changed in 2023 and the apps were supposed to work smooth? Currently my experience is worse than with other free apps on bigger notes (eg obsidian)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

• Level 5

First the simple solution would be to avoid large notes. Create smaller ones, link them together. The automatic backlinks make this very effective.

The second hint is there may be a corruption of you local database. To solve it, log out and quit the app. Now use AppCleaner to remove the install. The Mac uninstaller won’t do the job.

Restart the Mac, download a fresh installer from the EN website. Run it, open, log in. Now let the app running in the background for a while. It will download a fresh copy from the server.

• Thanks 1

This problem may be related to your CPU rather than the amount of words.

I have an intel mac which has the same LAG problem, while another M1 mac works fine. 

My temp solution is stick to version 10.66.5 for intel mac. This version is the highest version I tested without the LAG problem. 

• Thanks 1

Restart the Mac, download a fresh installer from the EN website. Run it, open, log in. Now let the app running in the background for a while. It will download a fresh copy from the server.

Thank you for answering! I appreciate it.

I have done exactly that. I reinstalled, waited for a while - around 20-30 minutes.

Same lagging happens between me writing a word and actually appearing on the screen. This is not happening when i open it through Brave browser.

Probably splitting in half could be a workaround. 

Still, I find this a sad situation given I copy pasted this in other notes apps (obsidian, notion and apple notes for testing this situation) and the note was working just fine.

I hope this will get fixed in the future.

• Level 5

If you have any reasonable volume of notes, the full download will take several days.

You can check in Activity Monitor - if there is still ongoing network traffic for EN while you have it open in the background, download is still ongoing.

• Thanks 1