Allow user to deactivate "Home" in settings

Fixestcat

Idea

Please allow users to deactivate "Home" in settings. "Home" just adds a layer of friction to everything I do in Evernote and does not add any value to my workflows. Why not allow users to deactivate "Home" in the settings. Evernote worked just fine before "Home" and unlike "Tasks" I don't consider it an essential or value adding feature. What is the use case beyond the scratch pad, which I use twice per year?

7 replies to this idea

On 12/17/2023 at 7:35 AM, Dave Green said:

While you can't delete it, you can select in the settings to have Evernote start-up where you were when you quit so don't have to see Home.

Thanks, I know, but that makes the situation not even marginally better. Wonder whether users that get utility from the Home Screen even exist…

• Level 5

Sure they exist - you shouldn’t draw too many conclusions from your own lack of learning and flexibility to all users. Home was generally well accepted.

First it was the first major extension of EN after years of legacy stalemate. Second it was developed after a user contest that asked for dashboards users had build on their own.

But as told, system settings allow you to decide where to start. This should be sufficient, if you don’t want to see the Home dashboard.

5 hours ago, Fixestcat said:

Wonder whether users that get utility from the Home Screen even exist…

I do, it has a calendar (which I use to create meeting notes), my next actions list, a menu note to other pages, as well as most recently changed, most recently captured.  I don’t have it come up as the first screen, but I like being able to go to it easily.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, PinkElephant said:

Sure they exist - you shouldn’t draw too many conclusions from your own lack of learning and flexibility to all users. Home was generally well accepted.

First it was the first major extension of EN after years of legacy stalemate. Second it was developed after a user contest that asked for dashboards users had build on their own.

But as told, system settings allow you to decide where to start. This should be sufficient, if you don’t want to see the Home dashboard.

I am asking for optionality on a feature that I personally have always considered a major setback, the one who extrapolates from the individual to the many is the person who cannot read.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Fixestcat said:

I am asking for optionality on a feature that I personally have always considered a major setback

If you don't like the feature, that's fine, but you did wonder whether others found it useful and you got a few responses that differ from your opinion.

As far as making it optional, as others pointed out, you have that setting today, at least on the desktop version.  I don't think the mobile version has an open where you last left off setting, but I just checked and it appears to be the default.  If you are in all notes view and close the mobile app, when you reopen it will be in all notes view again.

• Like 1