Evernote STEALING my CPU cycles with its poorly implemented upgrade overlay

Evernote keeps randomly adding an overlay to the UI, even when the UI is not open, asking me to upgrade to a pay plan, even after I've turned down the offer.

The overlay is poorly implemented and causes high CPU use, effectively stealing CPU cycles from my laptop, when minding my own business, and the evernote window isn't even visible.

I provide a screenshot of the overlay, and the reported high cpu use.

Please fix.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 14.59.46.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you hit the close button on the offer overlay, cpu goes down to normal levels.  But the fact it's randomly adding an overlay in the renderer that consumes high CPU, even when the evernote window is not open, is incredibly annoying. Makes me want to shut down evernote for good.

• Level 5

I run 3 Macs, 1 Intel and 2 Mx, all on the latest Sonoma and EN version. No such issue.

When it occurs it is usually a sign of a local data corruption. The app crunches on an inconsistency, and run in cycles.

Removing the local database or if necessary purging the local install solved the problem for me when it occurred. The last such event was in summer 2022 …

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I run 3 Macs, 1 Intel and 2 Mx, all on the latest Sonoma and EN version. No such issue.

When it occurs it is usually a sign of a local data corruption. The app crunches on an inconsistency, and run in cycles.

Removing the local database or if necessary purging the local install solved the problem for me when it occurred. The last such event was in summer 2022 …

Are you a paid Evernote customer? If so, you won't get the offer overlay, so of course no such issue.

The app is crunching in the renderer, this is display logic, most likely due to the overlay component attempting a complete redraw every cycle, which is a symptom of poorly written fontend code that has a cycle of changes triggering infinite re-renders.  In React, solutions to this are useMemo, useCallback, and making sure declared dependencies on useEffect etc aren't about to update every render.

I doubt the overlay needs to read much from the local database.  It's an offer overlay, it just needs to know my subscription level, and the current set of offers from the service.