Why does Web Clipper/Mac need this access?

I uninstalled and reinstalled Web Clipper, after clearing cache, just to get things working better. When I clicked on Web Clipper in Safari, it asked me to allow this on all web sites (or for a day, etc.). What concerned me is it said it had access to passwords and other sensitive data. I said yes, allow, worried something in Web Clipper might not work correctly otherwise. But why does it need this access, and is it safe not to allow it?

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 8.06.35 AM.png

• Level 5

LOL

You want to clip websites, but disallow access.

Next you come here and complain that your web clipper is not working.

It will clip exactly what you assign it to clip, and it will send it to your account only. What are you worrying about ?

3 hours ago, Don0819 said:

But why does it need this access, and is it safe not to allow it?

If you don't allow it, then it can't work.

Most browser plugins need access to read data on websites you visit -- else they don't work. The Evernote clipper needs access to also edit the data because they reformat the page for clipping.

In the end, there is a level of trust that we give any browser plugin that we install.

I only trust a small handful of plugins. In addition, I also use a browser that allows me to disallow a plugin unless I specifically allow it for the specific site/page I am on -- so that the plugin doesn't have access to read my browser email for example.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It will clip exactly what you assign it to clip, and it will send it to your account only. What are you worrying about ?

What is so difficult to understand ?

Is it safe ? No, it is not, because you don’t understand your own question, and this will lead to mistakes. But that’s not the fault of the web clipper.

Open an unsafe page ? WC will not stop you. Enter your password in a phishing website ? WC has nothing to with it. Getting your drive encrypted ? OK, not very likely on a Mac, but WC will not stop it.

It just grabs what you assign it to grab, and moves it to a new note in your account. That’s what it does, and it is very obvious that to be able to do this, it needs full access to all websites.

And you ask if THIS is unsafe … and then complain about not being answered. You were answered, but it seems the answer was too complex. Have a nice day, rant over.

• 1 month later...

Pink Elephant, I find your behavior supercilious, insensitive and arrogant. And your explanations are cryptic, contemptuous, and don't consider that a person asking a question does not need to be berated for not knowing, that's why they're asking!  If I were in charge of this forum, I would ban you until you demonstrated some compassion.   Learn from @Boot17 how to better interact with people.