Filters and Shortcuts No Longer Working

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

On Evernote ver. 10.67.2 on Windows 10 my filters and shortcuts only show recently edited notes, not all notes with the selected tags. If no notes with those tags were edited recently, then it says "No notes found. Try using a different keyword or filter." despite having many notes with the tags

I also get an issue occasionally where clicking a shortcut shows 1 note instead of the list of notes with that tag. Expanding the one note and then collapsing that note then reveals the list.

Tried deleting and re-adding the shortcuts, quitting and restarting Evernote and re-booting the PC but issues persist. No such issues on Android app with same account.
  • Solution

It sounds like a local data base issue. To refresh the database you can sign out of EN and choose "remove my Evernote data from this device". You can then sign back in. All the data will be downloaded again. This may take some time but EN should be usable in the mean time. It's always good to double check that everything is correct on the server before you do this as anything not synchronised will be lost. You can do this by logging in to the web version

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

... anything not synchronised will be lost.

IIRC the old EN clients used search indexes on server site if the local database is not completely synced. Does EN10 only use local data to search?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

IIRC the old EN clients used search indexes on server site if the local database is not completely synced. Does EN10 only use local data to search?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was just referring to notes. If the problems experienced are symptomatic of a wider sync/communication issue, then it is possible there are local notes which have not been sync'd to the server. Always best to check before effectively deleting your local data base just in case.

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

I was just referring to notes

OK, notes itself might be un-synced. But the server maintains a search index of all notes all the time. So if for any reason a local search recognizes an incomplete sync (or even everytime if you are online 😉),

• it should ask the server to answer the search request.
  • The list of results might contain unsynced note IDs (and subjects)
  • If a user clicks on a note in the result list, the note content should be synced immediately to show it in the note window

That's my understanding of a really good implementation of searches that covers an unsynced local database (if you are online). It works just after having connected your local EN app to your account.

A local search index is only necessary if you are offline from the internet.

10 hours ago, Mike P said:

It sounds like a local data base issue. To refresh the database you can sign out of EN and choose "remove my Evernote data from this device". You can then sign back in. All the data will be downloaded again. This may take some time but EN should be usable in the mean time. It's always good to double check that everything is correct on the server before you do this as anything not synchronised will be lost. You can do this by logging in to the web version

This fixed both issues. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

OK, notes itself might be un-synced. But the server maintains a search index of all notes all the time. So if for any reason a local search recognizes an incomplete sync (or even everytime if you are online 😉),

I was just following EN's advice on what to do if you uninstall etc EN which I assume also applies if you are deleting the local storage.