REQUEST: Choose which notes to keep offline on desktop.

Rafael B

Idea

CleanShot2023-11-19at22_23.20@2x.jpg.204df250c177ff968a2791965bf9ee2e.jpgCurrently, only Evernote's mobile clients allow users to choose which notebooks will be available offline. Desktop versions make the entire library available locally by default. Initially, when there are only a few notes, this approach makes sense, as computers typically have sufficient storage. However, as the note library expands, it becomes crucial for some users to selectively decide what should be 100% available locally. The app could locally store only compressed versions of the other notes, similar to what happens with Apple Photos.
Does that make sense to you?
  • Like 2

6 replies to this idea

9 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

Will a user remember he needs to call this note from the server, the one beside it is local ?

If the way this enhancement is done requires the user to have this type of concern whenever they want to optimize the search, this approach is poorly executed — I imagine that the developers at Bending Spoons are highly skilled in avoiding this kind of primary mistake. And it is to work around this type of problem that the note would store a basic version, only with text information, locally.

• Level 5

Doing it partially would significantly complicate day to day operations like search. Will a user remember he needs to call this note from the server, the one beside it is local ?

When checking details like search in attachments, mobile offline is showing some of the weaknesses of the selective approach.

There have been some request about this in the past - search the forum. Since the option to move the database to another location has been added, I don’t remember any more.

• Level 5

There is no such approach, so it can't be poorly executed. You can only execute poorly what you do at all.

I am pretty sure this is not on the agenda, and for a foreseeable time will not be. Most users are just happy they have a local database (some competitors won't), and those few with too small system drives now have a working solution by moving the database to another place.

There is no problem (except maybe for you, too bad), and consequently nobody will search a solution.

15 hours ago, Rafael B said:

However, as the note library expands, it becomes crucial for some users to selectively decide what should be 100% available locally.

I have my EN database stored locally on a 256GB SD card that's always plugged into the laptop. Works well and none of the C drive is used.

In perferences you can move the database to a different drive. I think just for paid plans (not sure) and only for direct download version of Evernote, not the app store downloads.

• Like 1
5 horas atrás, Jon/t disse:

I think just for paid plans (not sure) and only for direct download version of Evernote, not the app store downloads.

👆🏽Relevant information for anyone interested in this type of solution.

When I used a Windows PC, many years ago, I tested your solution. However, today I mainly use a Macbook Air with a 256GB SSD, and this function is unfeasible on my device. The speed of the internal SSD is orders of magnitude higher than any external device, which increases our demands. I started to consider everything very slow after my Macbook with Apple silicon. That said, I can say that the function I suggested would save a few precious gigs on my storage.

6 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

Most users are just happy they have a local database

Bibliographic reference used in the citation above:
HEAD, Voices in my. Delirious narratives from a disturbed mind. New York: Outburst, Paranoia, Schizophrenia, Delirium. 2019

See, ladies and gentlemen, below we can illustrate a clear demonstration of the illness caused by spending the whole day in forums. It gets to the point of treating the specific needs of users with disdain. I bet if Evernote's Company goes bankrupt, he would miss this forum more than the service.

6 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

There is no problem (except maybe for you, too bad), and consequently nobody will search a solution.

Again we clearly notice a similar specimen in its natural environment doing what it does best. When responding to a complaint from an app user who is caught off guard by an involuntary logout. Since there is no network, the user cannot open Evernote. According to NoLateArrivals, it is the user's fault and not a software failure that can be improved.

These and other best moments of the peculiar specimens that inhabit the Evernote forums will be in the future documentary we are producing on the topic.

image.png.3031ff141819a45ec192c6d8d8dd72b5.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/17v2t3l/comment/k98b6p3/