Evernote Calendar Integration and Events Marked "Private"

Hi, all. I took a job a couple months ago that requires me to use the company's Office 365 calendar. It's important for my calendar to be up-to-date so that colleagues, clients and prospects (I'm a salesperson) can schedule time with me. Our Outlook calendars also sync with the calendar feature in an app called ConnectWise, and sometimes colleagues need to be able to schedule time with me in ConnectWise rather than through Outlook.

I've learned that the only way my personal appointments get blocked off in both calendars is if I have all of those appointments entered into my Outlook calendar. I've tried other solutions, such as subscribing to my Google calendar through Outlook, and none have worked. So I enter my personal appointments into Outlook and mark them "private" so that the details don't show up in ConnectWise. The company promises that no one at the company will read someone's private calendar information, and I have every confidence that that's the case.

I'm only giving this level of detail to hopefully stave off any lectures about the wisdom of putting personal calendar items on the corporate calendar. It's a necessity for me, and a risk I take willingly.

Anyway, I love the Google calendar integration with Evernote, so today I found a way to sync my Office 365 calendar with Google. But -- any events marked "private" simply show up in the Evernote calendar widget as "Busy." No details. Which makes the calendar integration kind of useless for me.

I did some web research and couldn't find a solution. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a way to have the details of private calendar items show in Evernote? After all, they're my calendar items and I consent to letting Evernote show them to me. I trust myself not to abuse my own information. ;)

Thanks in advance.

• Evernote Expert

I don't think that there's is a solution for this approach. This is the way Google Calendar shows/shares private events.

I think you'll need to continue to work through how you display your personal events. 

Alternatively, you can wait patiently for the long promised Outlook calendar integration for Evernote. I heard recently that it is still on the plan albeit pending resolution of the performance issues which are more important.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, agsteele said:

I don't think that there's is a solution for this approach. This is the way Google Calendar shows/shares private events.

I think you'll need to continue to work through how you display your personal events. 

Alternatively, you can wait patiently for the long promised Outlook calendar integration for Evernote. I heard recently that it is still on the plan albeit pending resolution of the performance issues which are more important.

Thank you for your answer. Between your response, the lack of other responses, and my own research failing to turn up anything, I feel pretty confident this falls under the category of "it is what it is."

I have no plans to leave Evernote, so if they do get the Outlook integration working that will be icing on the cake. I did see that the Outlook piece was in beta, so I requested to be an Evernote beta tester in hopes I could get a crack at that. 

Anyway, no matter what happens, life moves on. Couldn't hurt to ask, though. Thanks again, @agsteele.

45 minutes ago, agsteele said:

@Bill Myers I wonder if you create a separate, personal calendar in Outlook? Then you could share that AND your work calendar with Google and thence with Evernote. The personal calendar need not be shared with your work colleagues.

@agsteele (that sounds like an action hero, BTW -- AG STEELE V, Don't Mess With the Evernote Expert!), I'm always open to your advice but I'm not sure I understand it this time. My colleagues need visibility to my availability, including personal appointments during the day. 

Would creating a personal calendar allow colleagues to see when a I'm unavailable due to a personal appointment while keeping the details from showing? And if so, would that still allow me to send full details to my Google calendar so they show up in Evernote?

• Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, Bill Myers said:

Would creating a personal calendar allow colleagues to see when a I'm unavailable due to a personal appointment while keeping the details from showing? And if so, would that still allow me to send full details to my Google calendar so they show up in Evernote

OK I have a clearer understanding now. I think the solution, if there is one, is in how Outlook shares calendars and what controls it offers over information that can be viewed.

It may be too much effort to try and resolve but playing with settings in Google and Outlook are likely to be the way forward.

• Like 1