Importing Large Number of Files

We are evaluating Evernote Teams as an option to search our organization's archives.

We have a large number of files [~2K] (meeting minutes, committee reports, etc, etc) organized in a hierarchical directory structure.

I see how I can create an Import folder to drop the files into a specific notebook. I can also create multiple import folders that deposit the files in different spaces or notebooks.

The problem I have is that our directories are multiple of layers deep. Each layer has meaning and would be part of the meta-data (tags?) of the notes.

Could I add one tag to multiple notes in one operation? [BTW, I can't seem to find a way how to do this.]

Does someone have a better idea?

Patrick

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote does not have a hierarchical structure.  There are Spaces which can contain Notebooks which can contain Notes.  Individual notes can be categorised by tags and titles.  Tags cannot be nested in Teams.  I'm not a teams user,  but it seems to me the only way you could categorise your content would be to import each folder into a separate notebook and tag each item in those notebooks with an artificially-nested tag like "HO_accounts",  "HO_staff" It would then be possible to pick out items by searching for "HO*" tags.

We're mainly other users here with little Teams experience - you should be able to get more from Support or the Help pages - Evernote Teams features

• Level 5

Small correction: The available hierarchy is Stacks (not spaces) - notebooks - notes.

Notes are their own level, because one note can hold multiple attachments. You can have a note holding for example all meeting protocols of a certain meeting of all times, or yearly, or whatever, or a note holding the agenda, all meeting stuff like presentations and the protocol.

There is no need to build deeper structures. In fact it is better to keep the notebook structure simple. Now we get at Spaces, which is a feature that exists only in Teams accounts. Spaces are a way to control who is able to see what. And Spaces are set up using notebooks. If you build an overly complex notebook structure, you have a complex structure with the access by the Spaces.

The way to do it is to use tags instead, and filters / searches. You could place all meeting protocols in a single notebook, add a meeting tag (one for each meeting) to each note, and easily filter the notebook for Meeting A. The nice thing about tags is that you can assign multiple tags to a single note. And you can change tags without a need to do anything with the note. You could have a note tagged Meeting A and Next, where you collect everything for the next upcoming meeting in the Meeting A series. Once it is official, you create the agenda from the collection, and add a Current tag. You open another note and tag it with Next.

Once the meeting is over, you write the protocol, put it into the note (or type it directly into the note), remove the Current tag and add a Last tag. And the Last note before you tag with Archive, as all other meeting notes before. This creates a rolling system of meeting notes, without a need to have a lot of directories.

I thought of using tags. I can use a tag for each level of folder they are originally placed.

Here's my issue; using the Windows 11 desktop client, I can't select multiple notes and add a tag (or tags) to them. I can select multiple notes but the context menu option "Edit Tags..." is greyed out.

I have a couple thousand files to import and I don't want to go note by note to put the appropriate tags on each.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions!

In the Admin Console, this is all it says about tags

Tags

The 'Tags' page is where you can rename or delete tags that have been assigned to notes in the team account. Select the checkbox next to a tag, then choose an action from the dropdown menu at the top of the list.

I don't see anywhere about allowing the ability to select multiple notes to tag.

I guess I'll open a support ticket. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1