Finally installed the newest version of Evernote (from Legacy) - lost over 1700 notes

I had 11,108 evernote notes, synced correctly to both my desktop and my phone (iOS). I finally caved and installed the newest version of Evernote, exported the 'conflicting changes' (which was apparently only 1 note), and installed the new version...Ā 

9,406 notes. Apparently at random. No way to tell what is missing.

Ā 

On my phone there remain, for now, the full 11,108 notes. On the web app, there are 11,065 notes (different notes seem to be missing compared to the desktop app...I despair).Ā 

I have a recent backup, but importing stops after importing a grand total ofĀ 13Ā notes becauseĀ it gives an error regarding breaching my monthly upload limit. How on earth can youĀ everĀ restore a backup if you have to stay within your upload limit?!

22 hours ago, will____ said:

9,406 notes. Apparently at random. No way to tell what is missing.

It's really ***** that EN10 does not show a "ready with all syncs" state šŸ˜ž.
If you didn't use local (unsynced) notebook on your Windows PC, I'm sure all will come back - but you have to wait (hours, days, ...) šŸ˜“

On my phone there remain, for now, the full 11,108 notes. On the web app, there are 11,065 notes (different notes seem to be missing compared to the desktop app...I despair).Ā 

OK, seems you didn't use unsynced notebooks. I'd believe in the WEB app because it is closest to the server database. It hold no local cache of your notes. If your phone does not match that count, it looks like an older syncing problem on you phone. Have you checked note counts on phone and Legacy before upgrading to EN10?

How on earth can youĀ everĀ restore a backup if you have to stay within your upload limit?!

Depends on your backup format: If you have ENEX files and try to import them to a account, the upload limit of the new account can be expanded by upgrading the account to a better payed one.

If you try to import ENEX files into your current account - it's not a good idea because it will double notes (presuming the server database is OK but not synced completely so far - my assumption).

You have a chance to get back to your local Legacy data because un-installing Legacy doesĀ notĀ remove it's local database. You may try to re-install Legacy to access all you notes (find a link to download it inĀ EN-10 - missing features (from beloved Legacy)).

Ā 

• Like 1

Thanks. I didnā€™t use unsynced notebooks. The note counts were correct on both legacy and my phone before the upgrade (and I made a note on my phone that morning, which had synced to legacy). I hadnā€™t checked the web (browser) count because I never use it.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m on a paid personal subscription. Iā€™m not willing to pay extra for a professional account to (maybe!) fix a problem caused by the software ā€˜upgradeā€™.Ā 
Ā 

I reinstalled Legacy, which fixed the problem. All notes back, and syncs correctly between phone and desktop. The web app still shows fewer notesā€¦who knows. The notes exist on both my PC and my phone, and Iā€™ve tested making a new note on both, which sync immediately to the other device.Ā 
Ā 

I guess Iā€™ll keep using the old app which works over the new one which doesnā€™t, continue to back up regularly, and look for an alternative programme that can import enex files for when the company stops supporting Legacy.Ā 

• Level 5

In fact you canā€™t loose notes (except those in local notebooks under legacy). The master copy is on the server, that would be the only place to loose anything.

I assume (without knowing) that one of 2 issues may have played a role:

1) You didnā€™t give the new client enough time to sync everything.

2) Notes were in shared notebooks. These you need to accept again in the new client, side panel, shared with me. Until you do, they will not be counted.