"Failed to delete note"

Quuzuu

Idea

Whenever I try to delete an old note, the deletion will fail, and this red alert shows up.

It happens on all notes in all notebooks, tested in both Web and Windows version. Except if I create a new note and immediately delete it, it'll work.

image.thumb.png.c1f8d0806c49e821589b394bc751dfd8.png

My test in Windows was done with a brand new install. Version numbers seen in Windows:

10.65.2-win-ddl-public (20231027153932)
Editor: v176.15.0
Service: v1.77.0

11 replies to this idea

Same issue here, version 10.65.2. The strange thing was that I deleted several notes before suddenly this message showed up. Restarting Evernote didn't solve the problem.

Same issue on:

Unfortunately it appears the developers don't monitor their own forum.

More info:  Thought it might only occur on notes that were searched for.  Nope. Doesn't matter whether searched or scrolled to.

Same. I'm just working out which program to move to. I tend to be loyal to apps like this (remember Infoselect?), but this kind of thing shows that the company doesn't really care about what's actually going on with the program, and it just gets more and more bloated and slower. And there's still basic things missing (or have been removed - don't get me started about moving the 'store' folder, which has only just been reinstated), like still sorting options. 

I did some additional testing. I moved to the web version and had the same issue with a note I tried to delete previously. Deleting a different note worked fine. The strange thing was that when doing a previous query, previously deleted items still showed up. Clicking on them made them disappear. This behavior points to a delay in the sync or some cache issue. Cleaning the browser cache didn't solve it.

The next day, back in the app, there was no issue deleting notes until a certain point. The same problem appeared. I don't know whether the app uses a temporary memory, but if it doesn't, there looks to be a delay in the syncing, which causes a bug to appear.

It seems what solved it was an auto-update of the client.

I somehow auto-updated to the version below, and the issue is gone:

10.65.3-win-ddl-public (20231103200848)
Service: v1.77.1

• Evernote Expert

Hi, It is a little difficult to guess what is going on.  Can I ask a few questions?

What version of Evernote are you using? Desktop, Web, or Mobile?

What type of account do you have?  Free, Personal or Professional?

Do you have Evernote open on more than one device? If so, close all your devices except for one.

Is this note book one that was shared with you by another Evernote user? If so ask them to unshare with you. Then try deleting.

If you are using a desktop app, have you tried rebuilding your data? If not, this can sometimes resolve this type of issue.  File, Sign Out, Remove my data from this device. When you log back in has the notebook gone or will it now delete?

Have you checked what exists in the web client? For paid users just open the web client and tr to remove the notebook there. If you are on a Free account, first be sure you only have one other client connected to your account. You are limited to two and the web counts as one of them.