Synch issue (SSL Error)

Go to solution Solved by Kex,

Hi there!

I'm getting a red ! on the synch icon and the error is listed as:
An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made

Nothing seems to be synching. I'm running 6.7.1, I know, my system is super old, that's the most up to date one I can get on my very old mac OS.

I really need this to synch to the evernote app on my phone. What can I do? It says "if the problem persists, export unsynched notes, then delete them from your account" but I dont' know which notes it is?
I also can't use the web client it seems. When I go to https://evernote.com/client and log in, it just goes to a white page.

Please help! This is my entire brain and my business organisation!

Initial take is that I wonder if they are starting to turn off syncing for legacy -- but seems like they'd announce that first, so that's probably not the case.

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Are you connected to a VPN?

You should put in a ticket with support if you haven't already (as long as you are a paid subscriber).

• Level 5

We are users here. The best option for you is to contact support.

if you depend on it, you can maybe find a browser working on your vintage MacOS  that can open the EN web client. 

Make sure to enable the v10+ checkbox in EN account settings. A good bet for older Macs is usually Firefox, maybe in an ESR version.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

We are users here. The best option for you is to contact support.

if you depend on it, you can maybe find a browser working on your vintage MacOS  that can open the EN web client. 

Make sure to enable the v10+ checkbox in EN account settings. A good bet for older Macs is usually Firefox, maybe in an ESR version.

v10+ checkbox is on (I could only access this through browser on my phone)
I am indeed running the newest Firefox ESR I can get (78.15.0esr)
no vpn (I do have one but it hasn't been connected, and also it's never been an issue)
restarting EN and then rebooting computer were the first things I tried

Support ticket sent... thank you for the suggestion.

I am in fact saving to get a new laptop either late this year or early next, but I kinda need this to work in some form till then.

• Solution

UPDATE for anyone in similar shoes:

I have tried CHROMIUM LEGACY - ( https://github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/releases ) and this is able to log into the EN web client at least, so this solves the rather immediate problem I was having, as now I can access my notes on my laptop. I checked the newest notes with diffchecker.com/text-compare/ to update the synched version with the last few changes that didn't get synched.

I'm hoping that if the mac EN version does at some point synch again, it doesn't, like wipe out new notes that came "after" it's last synch time? I'd hope not.. 

Just now, PinkElephant said:

I wouldn't expect the old Mac client to start syncing any time ever again.

But support can tell !

Surely EN is equipped for an "old" version to suddenly regain synch- I mean in general, like if your laptop was without internet connection for a while, and you edited some notes while offline, and added some notes on phone (or a different connected device).. I assume it figures out how to re-combine those without just wiping out everything.

I've been very thankful that the old mac client worked, but also frankly kind of miffed that it was apparently snuffed out without much fanfare. I guess we'll see what support says, fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The last client before v10 (6.25 on Windows, 7.14 on Mac) was deprecated 3 years ago.

All prior versions (if not announced, it is obvious) are automatically deprecated as well.

Deprecated means unsupported, use at your own peril, can stop working in any moment without notice. How much warning do you need ?

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The last client before v10 (6.25 on Windows, 7.14 on Mac) was deprecated 3 years ago.

All prior versions (if not announced, it is obvious) are automatically deprecated as well.

Deprecated means unsupported, use at your own peril, can stop working in any moment without notice. How much warning do you need ?

Most people aren't this tech-y. It would cost nothing to put a note in the prefs, instead it says "You're up to date!" Many people would not understand that this up-to-date is only referring to the newest version available for this system. I understand it is absolutely a luxury that it even worked this long.

On 9/20/2023 at 1:29 PM, Kex said:

UPDATE for anyone in similar shoes:

I have tried CHROMIUM LEGACY - ( https://github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/releases ) and this is able to log into the EN web client at least, so this solves the rather immediate problem I was having, as now I can access my notes on my laptop. I checked the newest notes with diffchecker.com/text-compare/ to update the synched version with the last few changes that didn't get synched.

I'm hoping that if the mac EN version does at some point synch again, it doesn't, like wipe out new notes that came "after" it's last synch time? I'd hope not.. 

I'm marking this as the solution because evernote support didn't really have much to help either.

They did have these other tips on getting the web client to work, in case they are useful for anyone else:

- ensure third party cookies are not blocked and that evernote is whitelisted in your browser
- disable ad-blocker extensions
- Reset cookies, clear and refresh cache in your browser
- Use a different browser

For me it was the latter- but finding a legacy browser isn't so easy. I will say the EN web client is very nice.

• Like 1

I have same problem but on iPad with Awesome Note synchronizing with EverNote. I did followed the instruction and it's still not working. I am not sure what else I could do. I can't even access my nots via EverNote app directly on my iPad. This is frustrating.

• Level 5

Awesome Note is abandoned, the last release noted in the AppStore is 4 years old. The developer says himself no new users allowed.

Nobody at EN can sort out what 3rd party devs do, sell and promise.

Contact Awesome Note support (if it still exists …) to get assistance with your problem.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Awesome Note is abandoned, the last release noted in the AppStore is 4 years old. The developer says himself no new users allowed.

Nobody at EN can sort out what 3rd party devs do, sell and promise.

Contact Awesome Note support (if it still exists …) to get assistance with your problem.

I have an EverNote app on my iPad. Whenever I tried to logging in, it said that it can't connect EverNote's server. Any suggestion?

Facing the same issues with an old iPad (Evernote 8.3.5). My last successful sync was 4 days ago. I get an “unable to sync” message, and underneath “an ssl” error. 
I hope Evernote didn’t just turn off sync for older versions. 
HELP! 

IMG_4464.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

On 9/23/2023 at 10:49 AM, brambmanu said:

Facing the same issues with an old iPad (Evernote 8.3.5). My last successful sync was 4 days ago. I get an “unable to sync” message, and underneath “an ssl” error. 
I hope Evernote didn’t just turn off sync for older versions. 
HELP! 

IMG_4464.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

https://web.archive.org/web/20230326100256/https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

This is just a workaround. You can use PC or MAC to download EverNote Legacy version to access your notes or access via web site. 

On 9/23/2023 at 2:04 AM, Chanthirar said:

I have an EverNote app on my iPad. Whenever I tried to logging in, it said that it can't connect EverNote's server. Any suggestion?

It's the same issue I'm afraid. Looks like they have turned off access for anyone on an older computer that can't upgrade to the latest OS/version of Evernote.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:41 AM, Chanthirar said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230326100256/https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

This is just a workaround. You can use PC or MAC to download EverNote Legacy version to access your notes or access via web site. 

I've found the older versions of Evernote don't work. The latest I could install was 6.12

• Level 5

Unless you can't use the web client, or use an unofficial upgrade of your macOS, that's likely the end of the path.

You may try support - but they have started to tell to upgrade to v10, and sorry, no support for deprecated versions.