Evernote - Noteshelf syncronization is broken

Joeee

Idea

Since last 2 Evernote releases, Notebook created from Noteshelf syncronized backup don't work anymore.

They show up without pages or only with the first pages

Easy to replicate: create a Noteshelf book, in options check Synch with Evernote, go and look at Evernote notebook created.

g

• Thanks 1

19 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Am I correct in thinking that Noteshelf is another application that you use?

If so, it is very likely that the new Evernote sync changes are breaking the connection between Noteshelf and Evernote.

A number of third party applications have struggled with previously functioning work flows since the new sync.

Although the root cause is likely to be the changes with the Evernote sync you will need to ask the Noteshelf developers about their plans to work with the new Evernote sync limitations.

I am having the same problem.  What's not clear to me is why we need to ask Noteshelf developers about the Evernote limitations.  Evernote needs to address the limitations for Evernote Sync.  Noteshelf is not the cause of the problem; they shouldn't be the ones to fix it.

• Level 5

It is not a product of EN, it is Noteshelf.

Using another service for storage is a classical dependency. Noteshelf decided to offer a sync into EN, among other options. They created this dependency, to make Noteshelf more attractive.

Now this specific syncing service has changed. It is up to Noteshelf to decide what to do about it: Update their sync interface, or stop offering EN as a sync option.

I am sure their devs can contact EN devs through the devs channel, and ask for help.

But they probably won’t do it if their offer fails to work, and nobody is asking their support to do anything about it. That’s your job, if you want it fixed:

On 7/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, agsteele said:

Am I correct in thinking that Noteshelf is another application that you use?

If so, it is very likely that the new Evernote sync changes are breaking the connection between Noteshelf and Evernote.

A number of third party applications have struggled with previously functioning work flows since the new sync.

Although the root cause is likely to be the changes with the Evernote sync you will need to ask the Noteshelf developers about their plans to work with the new Evernote sync limitations.

Understand. I'll contact them.

On the other side breaking public sync services is a very loose behavior from Evernote developers.

Think what would happen if only one cloud service (you name it: dropbox, icloud, onedrive, ... ) would break their sync services... thousands of apps rely on them!

I find evernote release system should improve regression testing in general (not only for this issue)

Just my thoughts

• Level 5

EN has an API, but it is not a public cloud service. Developers who use that API need to keep their apps current, in the case something changes at the main application.

Even if for technical reasons the API can’t be used for specific jobs any more: It is as it is. The developers of the app behind the API can develop their side technically. If it takes the app ahead, the API function is left behind.

It is not that the API is generally broken - it works for other uses. But likely the specific use Noteshelf makes needs an overhaul.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, PinkElephant said:

EN has an API, but it is not a public cloud service. Developers who use that API need to keep their apps current, in the case something changes at the main application.

Even if for technical reasons the API can’t be used for specific jobs any more: It is as it is. The developers of the app behind the API can develop their side technically. If it takes the app ahead, the API function is left behind.

It is not that the API is generally broken - it works for other uses. But likely the specific use Noteshelf makes needs an overhaul.

I told them. Let's see. If not fixed sure for some there's one less reason to use EN... there are still a lot though, but one less

• Like 1

Same problem here, that the Notshelf-Evernote sync is not working as it should (only the first pages are shown)

As I want my notetaking system to be reliable I have to find another solution if the problem doesn’t get fixed 😞

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sherbys said:

I have submitted a request to noteshelf 🙂

I immediately received the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Noteshelf support. We upgraded EN SDK on the NS2 side and will do the same for NS3 as well. This should fix the issue. Pls stay tuned for this update, due shortly for both apps.“

Today I got the following message from the noteshelf support:
“We took care of this Evernote issue from our side. Pls update your app to the latest v1.4 & check it out. Let us know how it goes.“

I updated the app - granted again access to evernote but I still get the following error message: „Sync failed with reason: Unknown“

Can someone check out if it works for you now?

The synchronization works better but only if a notebook is native on Noteshlef 3. If the notebook has been started on NS2 there are still some problems.

i.e. "rate limits reached" message that rises up as soon as the notebook has been modified (even just with a sign)