Unicode/Emoji rendering in search/sidebar is broken

I'm on the latest Evernote for Mac. I want to put a few emojis in note titles, but when searching for notes using Cmd+K or just looking in the sidebar, the emojis don't render properly. They render as the missing symbol - � .

In the search, after searching once they seem to render fine the next time around. In the sidebar they never render properly.

Cmd+K Search rendering:

Screenshot2023-06-11at2_44_22PM.thumb.png.21b2f683a9ce6c1236d300a8013fd662.png

Sidebar rendering:

Screenshot2023-06-11at3_23_55PM.png.c05f4e3ff3991d583c78070cc3354f58.png

Are there any plans to fix this?

Evernote version:

10.57.10-mac-mas-public (459878)
Editor: v169.1.20965
Service: v1.68.5
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

M2 Macbook Air running Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

It happens with all emoji, the specific one I used in the example is 📔 but it doesn't matter.

I have noted that the emojis are evidently not supported in every font.  I normally use "Sans Serif" and many emojis won't show or show only in black & white.  Changing the font to "Serif" for at least the emoji - makes them visible and in color.  It does not seem like it is possible to control the font of Note Titles.  My guess is that Evernote is using a different font that has the emoji in the sidebar rendering of the title, while the title font of the actual note does not.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2023 at 4:07 PM, Dave Green said:

I have noted that the emojis are evidently not supported in every font.  I normally use "Sans Serif" and many emojis won't show or show only in black & white.  Changing the font to "Serif" for at least the emoji - makes them visible and in color.  It does not seem like it is possible to control the font of Note Titles.  My guess is that Evernote is using a different font that has the emoji in the sidebar rendering of the title, while the title font of the actual note does not.

That makes a lot of sense! But I see some more strange behavior now.

Now when the title is rendered in the sidebar by clicking on the Notebook and seeing all the notes under it, it renders fine. It also renders fine with Cmd+J search.

However when i find it via the search box on the top left (not Cmd+J search), it renders incorrectly. This also renders the results in the same sidebar with seemingly the same fonts that render fine using the above method.

So something weird is going on

I love using emojis but there are definitely some oddities. I've just had an example where the emoji was rendered in the title of the main note but NOT in the title in the note list. Then I did a different search and it was rendered correctly in both.

To give another example of weirdness,  to search for an emoji in the title of the note you need to search for:

🔴 intitle:🔴

and NOT just

intitle:🔴

See

• Level 5*

I'm currently using 🔸as a marker prefix for some note titles,  and a search for just the icon "🔸" gets me 270 hits,  including a few notes which list icons,  apparently including this one.  If I search "🔸 intitle:🔸" however I get 266 hits,  which is correct.

As well as the orange diamond I found a small number of icons that work well for me - YMMV

🔸 🔹 💠 🔶 🔵● ○ 🔴🔵🟢🟡🟣🟠🟤

There is a little evil black triangle with a question mark that pops up on occasion,  but most of these seem to hold up well in searches, lists, tags and notes.

• Like 2