Both "Add tag" and "Notebook" should be in the same area on the top

idoc

Idea

The most common workflow is to select your tags and then to assign the note to a new notebook.  To select the tags I need to go to the bottom of the note and add the tags there.  However, to select the notebook I need to go to the top of the page and activate the Move Note there.  That's not quite logical because you are jumping from the very bottom to the very top of the page on each and every note assignment.  In Legacy the tag and notebook selection areas sat side by side at the top, which is more logical.

• Like 2

3 replies to this idea

2 hours ago, idoc said:

In Legacy the tag and notebook selection areas sat side by side at the top, which is more logical.

I definitely don't disagree but I really can't see EN changing it now. The keyboard shortcuts work really well. F3 to jump to the tag area and alt+shift+M to open the move dialog box.

• Level 5

I agree that that would be more logical, and I've voted it up (although there is probably at least one other idea thread in this forum that already has this). It has been ranging between a favorite idea, a pet peeve, and an obsession in the forums ever since v. 10 came out with tags at bottom. But @Mike P is probably right that it's not moving. Many have also requested that the interface be more customizable in general, as in v. 6, but that also seems a dim hope.

22 hours ago, idoc said:

The most common workflow is to select your tags and then to assign the note to a new notebook.

This is the one thing I would question. I don't think any of us has any idea how many workflows people get into with Evernote, because of its amazing versatility. And of course you're veering into the Total Tagging vs. Nothing But Notebooks war too, but let's hope no one goes there.

• Like 1
On 6/8/2023 at 10:11 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I agree that that would be more logical, and I've voted it up (although there is probably at least one other idea thread in this forum that already has this). It has been ranging between a favorite idea, a pet peeve, and an obsession in the forums ever since v. 10 came out with tags at bottom. But @Mike P is probably right that it's not moving. Many have also requested that the interface be more customizable in general, as in v. 6, but that also seems a dim hope.

This is the one thing I would question. I don't think any of us has any idea how many workflows people get into with Evernote, because of its amazing versatility. And of course you're veering into the Total Tagging vs. Nothing But Notebooks war too, but let's hope no one goes there.

In Legacy, once you assign the notebook to the note it instantly disappears from focus ie: it's whisked away to that notebook.  So there was no other choice but to assign tags first (which keeps the note in front of you) and then to assign it to a notebook.  In v10 (web, iphone etc) once you assign the note to a notebook it stays in front focus allowing you to then assign tags.  So you can assign tags and notebooks in any sequence of order.  With v10 even after you assign the note to a different notebook the note still sits there in front of you (in the current notebook you are in) until you physically click elsewhere.  So technically I can be looking at my "inbox" and yet the note I see on the right side is labelled "Work" instead of inbox.  Not a big deal but several times I've glanced at my EN and mistaken the notebook that I'm in because of this.