Notes opening at the bottom of the page, check boxes keep defaulting to cross outs, and links opening to main page!

Since the latest update, my Evernote seems to have a mind of its own!  It is taking me FOREVER to do what used to take me seconds and I am getting so frustrated!

I though I would get used to the changes eventually, but it's been several weeks and it is just not efficient and I would love to know how to fix these extremely time consuming issues.

1.  when I open a note, it puts me at the BOTTOM of the page.  Most of my notes are list that I update from the top down so I'm having to scroll and scroll and scroll to get back to the top - every, single, time!!!

2.  check boxes default to a cross out line when I hit return.  It has always done this on my phone app, but windows never did.  For this reason, I created most of my new notes on my laptop to avoid this issues, now it is UNAVOIDABLE!  It takes me so long to make a list with the checkboxes I want!  I do not want cross out lines!!

3.  before the update, an internal link would just go to the new note like a web browser.  Now, it goes back to the main page, then opens the linked note in a new window!!!  OMG this is so frustrating!  Imagine every time you clicked on a link on a website it opened a new, tiny window!?!?! 

Please help me - I've searched everywhere for how to change these settings.  I am near that point where I'm looking for a new app!  Also, I miss the SYNC button on my computer version.  

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Please confirm your Windows and Evernote versions.  While Evernote mostly works the same regardless of the device it's difficult to deal with both laptop and phone questions in one answer.  I don't use most of the features you mention,  but on my Win 11 EN10.17.10 setup my note links open with the note.  Is Evernote running on your system when you click a link?  Or do you sign out each time you finish editing a note?

• Level 5
On 6/3/2023 at 3:30 PM, hollymerryman said:

Since the latest update, my Evernote seems to have a mind of its own!  It is taking me FOREVER to do what used to take me seconds and I am getting so frustrated!

I though I would get used to the changes eventually, but it's been several weeks and it is just not efficient and I would love to know how to fix these extremely time consuming issues.

1.  when I open a note, it puts me at the BOTTOM of the page.  Most of my notes are list that I update from the top down so I'm having to scroll and scroll and scroll to get back to the top - every, single, time!!!

2.  check boxes default to a cross out line when I hit return.  It has always done this on my phone app, but windows never did.  For this reason, I created most of my new notes on my laptop to avoid this issues, now it is UNAVOIDABLE!  It takes me so long to make a list with the checkboxes I want!  I do not want cross out lines!!

3.  before the update, an internal link would just go to the new note like a web browser.  Now, it goes back to the main page, then opens the linked note in a new window!!!  OMG this is so frustrating!  Imagine every time you clicked on a link on a website it opened a new, tiny window!?!?! 

Please help me - I've searched everywhere for how to change these settings.  I am near that point where I'm looking for a new app!  Also, I miss the SYNC button on my computer version.  

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forums. No offense, but you haven't quite checked everywhere.

1. Just search the forums for "bottom" or "end" in the topic and you'll see that this is almost a universal experience currently. Evernote staff have said they're working on it.
  2. I sympathize--I absolutely hate the cross-outs. A couple of times lately one or another Evernote client has re-set this on me. In the Windows desktop app, go to settings (the gear icon), click the Notes button and uncheck the Strikethrough item. In the Android app, 3-lines menu at bottom left, gear icon at top, Notes section, unset Strikethrough. This will display all checklists properly.
  3. This one is new to me. What version of Evernote are  you on ("Need a little help?" at bottom left > Release notes). 10.57.10 is currently the most recent for Windows, I believe.

Hope this is some help. Apologies if I've over-explained some things--I'd rather give too much guidance than not enough.

I am using version 10.57.10 on my laptop and 10.51.1 on my iPhone.

1. Okay - I'll wait and see...

2. Thanks for the help!  I had already unchecked the strikeout box.  This only changes with I hit return.  As a temp solution, I found that after I return, I can backspace and return again to "un-do" the strikeout.  Extra steps, but at least I found a workaround.  It would be much easier if it would just keep the current formatting when I go to a new line, like before the update.

3. The window thing JUST started when I upgraded to 10.57.10.  Not a fan.  Before it would let me go back and forth just like a webpage.  Now I end up with a new window opened for every internal link!!!  (And I have a lot because I use this mostly on my phone for my job).  

No such thing as over-explaining for me!  I'll take all the help I can get!  

Thanks again!

• Level 5

I'm not experiencing either one of these, and if #3 in particular were widespread I think we'd see multiple reports of it on the forums. So it may be something going on on your device--I presume on the laptop. It might be worth contacting support about, just to confirm if this is what it's supposed to do (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new). I am seeing that links that are in the Web format (perhaps because they were created in a mobile app or in the Web client) are opening in a browser rather than in the desktop app--that's annoying too. Web-type links use evernote.com/shard and in-app links use evernote:///view.

There are 2 types of checkboxes, "new" ones and "legacy" ones.  The checkbox list is a "new" one.  Using the "+" button and then "Checkbox" will insert a green legacy one.

You might try using a table with the first column using the legacy checkboxes, 2nd column the text.  Tabbing will insert a new line and will hopefully avoid the checkbox list conversion when you hit enter.  Just a suggestion.

Internal links come in 2 types : "app" and "web".  App links start with "evernote://" and web ones "http://".  App links will open in the Evernote app, web ones will open in the browser.