Creating Templates - no tags

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

How come templates won't save tags you've applied to them?

Never looked for this so maybe we have them, but do we have access to variables like date we could use in the title of a template so when the note is created, it will have a unique name? And then we'd be able to use titles in templates?

.Thanks,

Robert

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, robnewton01 said:

Never looked for this so maybe we have them, but do we have access to variables like date we could use in the title of a template so when the note is created, it will have a unique name? And then we'd be able to use titles in templates?

.Thanks,

Robert

They also don't store any format rule you apply for the headers (at least color, font)

• Like 1
  • Solution
33 minutes ago, robnewton01 said:

An alternative is to just completely bypass the EN template system which is generally buggy at the best of times (creating templates is not working at all for me at the moment). Create a templates notebook and put your templates in there. To use them right click and choose copy or duplicate.

28 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

They also don't store any format rule you apply for the headers (at least color, font)

This certainly didn't use to be the case. I can't test at the moment as I seem unable to create a template at all. Are you updating the header before you save the template?

image.png.f5805718ef96a1d9ad3ba2a257ebd565.png

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

This certainly didn't use to be the case. I can't test at the moment as I seem unable to create a template at all.

I've now managed to create and use a template, and can confirm that for me as well, updated styles are no longer saved with the template.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I think you'll find that tags at least can be saved wih a template exported as an ENEX file abd saved to your local desktop.  Doubleclick the file to generate a new note.  I think that 'should' also apply to some formatting as well,  but YMMV,

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I think you'll find that tags at least can be saved wih a template exported as an ENEX file abd saved to your local desktop.  Doubleclick the file to generate a new note.  I think that 'should' also apply to some formatting as well,  but YMMV,

Nice idea, but the color and fonts did not stick, although the tags did.    As @Mike P said, color and font are used to "stick" in Templates.

I exported a single note to an .ENEX file and then double-clicked to make a new note.  The process made a new notebook and put the note in that notebook.  It is useful to have the notebook when one has exported a complete notebook, but it seems to just to add steps (to delete it) used for a single note -- am I missing anything?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Mike P said:

I've now managed to create and use a template, and can confirm that for me as well, updated styles are no longer saved with the template.

It also appears that simply copying or duplicating a note resets the styles back to default. I hope this is a bug rather than by design. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Dave Green said:

The process made a new notebook and put the note in that notebook.

Hmmn.  In my case it just dumps the note in my default notebook. Can't remember if I had to set any specific options for that to happen or not...

I use the ENEX route plus duplication for one note I use a lot.  Clicking the ENEX file I open the new note in its own window and then use that by duplicating any alterations I've made for the date / content for my current task.  I'll often open 5 notes in their own windows,  then use them up for new topics until I get to one that doesn't say "copy x".

• Thanks 1